Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2010, 10:38 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to maxima423
making the option available to make channels will definitely be good, but that would be annoying to a point

example:

1- if you dont want people to come in and only have the people that you want to talk to to be in there, than that will show a negative to other peoples POV

2- people can literally crash the server creating too many channels if they decide to abuse this power

3- if they decide not to give the authority to make a password for that channel you want to create, anyone can join and this will just be the same as having one channel, but more annoying

#1 "hey join this channel XXXXX"
#2 "okay brt"
xxxx has joined the channel, cccc has joined the channel, vvvv has joined the channel
#1 "hey get out please we are trying to have a private discussion"
xxxx, cccc, vvvv ( if they decide to be diffcult will most likely say ) "no"

lol well, its better to just get a chat program outside this forum and just do it that way, much simpler, much more convenient and you dont give the mods such a tough time, they are trying to accommodate to everyones needs, but not everyone will be accommodated

Old 07-28-2010, 10:51 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
#1, freshies generally don't want to talk to salties about fish, and there isn't any negativity other than a little joking around between the two

#2 that's why there are cooldowns, just like posts

#3 refer to #1

If you want private go private, chat rooms aren't meant to be private. I understand that they're trying, but most of these changes will be pretty simple to execute. (I'm not sure about the cooldowns or the timeouts or the max channels, but I'm guessing they're already somewhere in the code, and just need to be turned on)

Old 07-29-2010, 09:25 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxima423 View Post
making the option available to make channels will definitely be good, but that would be annoying to a point

example:

1- if you dont want people to come in and only have the people that you want to talk to to be in there, than that will show a negative to other peoples POV

2- people can literally crash the server creating too many channels if they decide to abuse this power

3- if they decide not to give the authority to make a password for that channel you want to create, anyone can join and this will just be the same as having one channel, but more annoying

#1 "hey join this channel XXXXX"
#2 "okay brt"
xxxx has joined the channel, cccc has joined the channel, vvvv has joined the channel
#1 "hey get out please we are trying to have a private discussion"
xxxx, cccc, vvvv ( if they decide to be an arse will most likely say ) "no"

lol well, its better to just get a chat program outside this forum and just do it that way, much simpler, much more convenient and you dont give the mods such a tough time, they are trying to accommodate to everyones needs, but not everyone will be accommodated

I see your points in this post and your earlier one, but I tend to disagree a bit.

I could send out my skype and AIM address to everyone here, and we could get a chat going, but I use those for my personal life, and wouldn't really want people to be able to contact me whenever for whatever reason.

And I do use private messages and emails, but again, if more then one person would like to talk about something, your kind of screwed then. Neither really make for a fast and accurate conversation either.

Your most recent list I believe to be completely inaccurate, this is a fish forum not some private chat community. I can't think of one scenario that someone would come in a room where others dont want that person to hear what they are saying. The chat can get pretty personal sometimes, but never that personal.

I am neither giving the mods a hard time or whining. I offered to help if I could if you would refer to my OP, these are merely concerns that several people have expressed. There are simple solutions to most of these already built in the chat software we have, whats the harm in inquiring about them? I don't know how an outside chat program is easier when we have the capability to change ours or get a new one for free. I honestly don't understand why people are getting riled up about this.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:46 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Admin

Some of the the other chat clients are security risks (hackable) and this is why we settled on this one.

There are 3 new rooms added now and maybe that will help relieve some of the traffic jams in chat

><
((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>
¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>
Support Aquarium Advice | Community Rules | Terms of Service | Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:54 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

On the like 30 minutes I spent on the "new" chat, I think this will work out pretty nicely. For awhile, until it becomes more popular, I think most people will end up in the lounge, but it does give the flexibility that I think we needed. Also, I don't know if this was new, but the instant messaging feature was definitely helpful.

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to logansmomma1228
IM has been there , but I think it will work out good. What about the seminar thing that was mentioned? I would really love to attend something like that.

If someone gives good advice, thank them with some rep points!
logansmomma1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:40 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
One last thing, there was a thread Ziggy started a long time ago that brought up the idea of having some of the higher ups or what-have-you have designated times or appointments to discuss certain topics or lectures, and be open to questions. This thread received a lot of positive feedback but never really went anywhere; could we possible discuss bringing this idea back?
I would be willing to help coordinate any of the above, I realize its quite easy to complain about what we have, so I would love to help if possible.
Yeah, this plan, it sounds like a really good idea.
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:11 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Webinars . Maybe webcams would get too hectic though..

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com