New Look This Week - Forum Changes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Administrator
Site Team
We have some very exciting changes coming this week. Aquarium Advice will be getting a new look and a new front page.

The new layout will include some cool drop down menus to make navigation easier and a new articles interface. The front page will feature current events, product updates, club info, tanks help, tips, and newsy bit to help you keep your tanks in tip-top condition.

If you are interested in contributing content on a regular basis to the front page please let us know.

Look for these changes in the next two days. It's possible that the site will be offline briefly as we make the change but downtime shoudl be minimal.

Here's a sneak peak at the front page:

AA home page.jpg

And the forums page:

aa_preview.jpg

:flowers:

Very cool! Looks more, modern and really happy and just better haha.

I'm going to have to change my profile now because I made it to match the old layout lol oh well.

The background page image could be of higher resolution. It looks quite pixelated on my 22" monitor.

Love the new look!!
If I may say something though-- the background picture does look a little pixelated in higher resolutions; not moaning, just noticing :hide:

The background looks a bit low resolution because it is. The original image was very large and also high resolution. That means the file size was large. Keeping the background image to a small file size (lite) means that pages load fast. This is especially important for those on slow connections. :flowers:

Thanks for everything Janet and the SK Team. The new look is refreshing. Might take a little to get used to but I think it will be better in the long run! I especially like the Portal/Home page. Can't wait to see things take off.

Thanks again!

The new background really squished everything in for me and the white sections where text is typed are now glaring white. Guess it'll take some getting used to but I'm sure it was done for a good reason.

Cool new site! Good job. ;)

And we have a new reputation button? Is that the same as the thanks button? Thank you.

Nevermind, it is gone now. It was near the online and report button.

:)

Last edited:
I'm sure my opinion won't count for much, but I liked it alot better the way it was before. :( It loaded much faster, was easier to navigate, and didn't upset my computer. I have quit many forums entirely due to the fact that they were so "hi-tech" that I couldn't even enjoy them, and I had always loved that this one wasn't that way, but now it's just like the others.... I need to refresh the window or close it down completely every time it freezes up, which is often, and I can't use the drop down menus at all because there are big banner ads in the way of the subforum selection. I'm sure there is much tweaking to be done yet, but even when it's totally finished, I'm sure it will still upset my computer significantly more than the old layout did.

On the positive side, I do like the way it looks for the most part... I agree that the contrast is a bit much; the white areas look REALLY white, but it doesn't affect the functionality of the site at all, so I don't mind one bit. The background image is fuzzy, but once everything else comes up, you can barely see it anyway, so I don't think it's a big deal at all.

Also.... I love love LOVE the fish at top! Adorable! :fish1:

i haven't had any issues, but haveing a $900 video card, i shouldn't have issues with anything!
i thought i was on some other forum, i had to double check to make sure i was on AA, lol

I can see there being lag that is being introduced because of the graphics.
I like it either way, i'm more concerned with the content than the flashy graphics.

Wow! It looks awesome! The only problem i noticed is that the ads overlap the drop down menus, but it is new and bugs need to still be squashed

Before making any firm judgement on it, give the admins some time to work out the bugs. I've seen quite a few resolved already, and as we discover them, they are looking in to resolutions.

The new background really squished everything in for me and the white sections where text is typed are now glaring white. Guess it'll take some getting used to but I'm sure it was done for a good reason.

I suppose the 'white' can be tweaked-down to not-so-white with no problems :)
Plus... I loved the old shrimp logo (God, I must be getting older with all that moaning!)

Btw-- is there any chance to get the picture of the old shrimp from the logo? I think that'd be a nice tattoo...

im not a big fan of the new look,but im sure it will grow on me:)

Back
Top Bottom