Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2012, 05:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok so i thought I would just give it a shot and see what kinda response this gets from the members and especially mods. It seems that reef keeping has started to really explode with new members coming in left and right with new reef tanks or starting a reef and many members tanks are finally maturing with possibilities to start fragging. So my question is could our SW section of threads have a "frag swap" section with different categories (polyps/Softies/lps/sps/nps) that we could just post current pics and lists for people to browse and if you see something you like try and make a deal. On top of that we could try and document as well as we can mother colonies and their origin with where and who recieves the frags to try a keep a "blood line" of sorts. I know it doesn't seem like much but the more trading back and forth over the country we do the more it can save us money, help propogate rare corals, possibly lower prices permanently, and lastly the more trading we do amongst eachother the less stress on the reefs at which some point hopefully 99% of corals will be ORA. (mods) I understand we have a classifieds section but i believe this could open up a whole new opportunity for the reefing community on AA and maybe even those members local clubs. Thank you for reading everyone and please atleast consider my request mods, especially you FW only guys :P lol.

P.S. members, voice your opinion on the subject please so we can get a better idea of what the community would like.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think it's a great idea! Would def participate

Old 08-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you hopefully more people feel this way
Old 08-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I really like this idea. Ive got some polyps ready for fragging, as well as zoas and i would much rather hand them out here then go to the lfs with them! Heck, i would love to someday be able to give out free frags to members near me! In good time.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great idea! Not that I'm a saltie lol I would just look at the gorgeous photos
Old 08-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have no interest in swapping frags but we have a classified section to buy, sell, or swap, what makes that different that trading anything else? If that's the case there could be a section devoted to every aspect our hobby, such as cichlids or inverterbrates.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

What I'm talking about would break the rules for the classifieds section.and ontop of that I would garuantee more people looking to swap frags would check a section devoted to corals then in a broad selection of wtb/selling/trading. It would be more like a bulletin board of peoples overflow of corals and frags that you could browse whenever you'd like.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
What I'm talking about would break the rules for the classifieds section.and ontop of that I would garuantee more people looking to swap frags would check a section devoted to corals then in a broad selection of wtb/selling/trading. It would be more like a bulletin board of peoples overflow of corals and frags that you could browse whenever you'd like.
And maybe even setup special swaps. I found the idea on a different forum (local). You put up a frag, and you can only pay up to $10. It might be worth more, but you only expect $10 at most. If you want a frag, you have to put in one of your own.

Problem with this..we are all across the country!
Old 08-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

And maybe even setup special swaps. I found the idea on a different forum (local). You put up a frag, and you can only pay up to $10. It might be worth more, but you only expect $10 at most. If you want a frag, you have to put in one of your own.

Problem with this..we are all across the country!
But you can still find people local imo. I found Adam and I'm in west Virginia which is probably the least reef populated state in the country haha
Old 08-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Plus given its something I want I'd be willing to pay shipping to make a trade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com