New Thread Section.?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrc8858

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so i thought I would just give it a shot and see what kinda response this gets from the members and especially mods. It seems that reef keeping has started to really explode with new members coming in left and right with new reef tanks or starting a reef and many members tanks are finally maturing with possibilities to start fragging. So my question is could our SW section of threads have a "frag swap" section with different categories (polyps/Softies/lps/sps/nps) that we could just post current pics and lists for people to browse and if you see something you like try and make a deal. On top of that we could try and document as well as we can mother colonies and their origin with where and who recieves the frags to try a keep a "blood line" of sorts. I know it doesn't seem like much but the more trading back and forth over the country we do the more it can save us money, help propogate rare corals, possibly lower prices permanently, and lastly the more trading we do amongst eachother the less stress on the reefs at which some point hopefully 99% of corals will be ORA. (mods) I understand we have a classifieds section but i believe this could open up a whole new opportunity for the reefing community on AA and maybe even those members local clubs. Thank you for reading everyone and please atleast consider my request mods, especially you FW only guys :p lol.

P.S. members, voice your opinion on the subject please so we can get a better idea of what the community would like.

I think it's a great idea! Would def participate

Thank you hopefully more people feel this way :)

I really like this idea. Ive got some polyps ready for fragging, as well as zoas and i would much rather hand them out here then go to the lfs with them! Heck, i would love to someday be able to give out free frags to members near me! In good time.

Great idea! Not that I'm a saltie lol I would just look at the gorgeous photos
:popcorn:

I have no interest in swapping frags but we have a classified section to buy, sell, or swap, what makes that different that trading anything else? If that's the case there could be a section devoted to every aspect our hobby, such as cichlids or inverterbrates.

What I'm talking about would break the rules for the classifieds section.and ontop of that I would garuantee more people looking to swap frags would check a section devoted to corals then in a broad selection of wtb/selling/trading. It would be more like a bulletin board of peoples overflow of corals and frags that you could browse whenever you'd like.

Mrc8858 said:
What I'm talking about would break the rules for the classifieds section.and ontop of that I would garuantee more people looking to swap frags would check a section devoted to corals then in a broad selection of wtb/selling/trading. It would be more like a bulletin board of peoples overflow of corals and frags that you could browse whenever you'd like.

And maybe even setup special swaps. I found the idea on a different forum (local). You put up a frag, and you can only pay up to $10. It might be worth more, but you only expect $10 at most. If you want a frag, you have to put in one of your own.

Problem with this..we are all across the country!

Gboy66 said:
And maybe even setup special swaps. I found the idea on a different forum (local). You put up a frag, and you can only pay up to $10. It might be worth more, but you only expect $10 at most. If you want a frag, you have to put in one of your own.

Problem with this..we are all across the country!

But you can still find people local imo. I found Adam and I'm in west Virginia which is probably the least reef populated state in the country haha

Plus given its something I want I'd be willing to pay shipping to make a trade

Great idea! I would love to trade some frags with my fellow AA reefers that would be soo cool. I wanna say "i got this acan from Mrc" lol i know this is a good idea, hopefully more members see this thread!

Sounds like a good idea to me. I know I support Jodi and her store, but idk how many ppl I would would love to swap frags with on AA. I've either helped or been helped by most of these ppl, so I know their tanks are good and trust worthy. Just my two cents.

Mrc8858 said:

How would it break classifieds rules?

Cause I would like it to be a section we could conversate amongst each other too which we can't in the classifieds.

And this may not be breaking rules but it seems like it would be borderline. What I'm picturing there would be open threads for people to just drop some pictures and a list.

And this may not be breaking rules but it seems like it would be borderline. What I'm picturing there would be open threads for people to just drop some pictures and a list.
That's already possible in a single swap thread unless there's some provision in the rules that I missed.
Cause I would like it to be a section we could conversate amongst each other too which we can't in the classifieds.

Ah yeah, that's definitely not going to fly in the regular classifieds. We have sections for people to converse about certain topics, it doesn't have a place in the classifieds. In a b/s/t/swap, whatever you want to call it, you'd probably want to minimize chatter also since the whole point of the thread is to swap something and not have loosely related discussion on stocking or whatnot.

The reason why I personally don't promote swaps is because it's easy to be taken advantage of because there is a large trust factor involved. There are methods to help mitigate scamming etc but who would be in charge of regulating that?

Personally speaking, I like the idea but don't know if it warrants it's own section. Expanding on the idea, the planted tank people could do something similar with their stuff as well, so could the breeders.

I don't think there has been an official response yet, but stay tuned.

jetajockey said:
Ah yeah, that's definitely not going to fly in the regular classifieds. We have sections for people to converse about certain topics, it doesn't have a place in the classifieds. In a b/s/t/swap, whatever you want to call it, you'd probably want to minimize chatter also since the whole point of the thread is to swap something and not have loosely related discussion on stocking or whatnot.

The reason why I personally don't promote swaps is because it's easy to be taken advantage of because there is a large trust factor involved. There are methods to help mitigate scamming etc but who would be in charge of regulating that?

This is why I feel we need a section like classifieds but chattable since it is solely based on trust of other members. As for regulating it I feel like AA as a community could handle that on our own. Given, there have been people scammed even in our current classifieds section I do think over time it would really bring the reefers closer together which after a while most will get to know one another if they don't already ;)

Thank you for the suggestion. The site team is currently discussing this and if we decide it is a good idea for implementation we will make an announcement,.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom