No email notifications of new posts?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flanque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,

Is anyone else suffering from this problem that's seemingly been here for about a year now? I post new topics, but then don't get email notification. I always check that the checkbox for being notified of replies is checked.

After someone replies and I manually go back, if I respond after that I then start getting email notifications.

I'll come back tomorrow to check this post because I know I wont get any replies.

Moved to the Site Help Forum.

You have to click on the "Watch This Topc For Replies" link at the bottom of the post. It's at the bottom of the page.

Yep known issue. Once you make a reply to that post you will get email notifications. It broke when we tried to code in the email for replys with the message text. The feature was documented for an older version of our forum software and it was not updated when the software was updated so we had to 'fudge' it in.

So what's the fix then? At this stage I am required to manually come back to check for replies. It makes the checkbox useless for new posts.

As I staed in my above post "You have to click on the "Watch This Topc For Replies" link at the bottom of the post. It's at the bottom of the page."

I don't see that. All I see is:

Disable BBCode in this post
Disable Smilies in this post
Set a bookmark for this topic
Attach Signature (signatures can be changed in profile)
Notify me when a reply is posted

The "Notify me when a reply is posted" is ticked.

Fishyfanatic said:
Click on the below pic. I circled it.

Maybe it's skin specific then because I don't see that.

I always have the checkbox ticked to get notifications. It's there by default.

Attachments

• different_100.jpg
    different_100.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 24
You're not looking at the right spot. Right now, scroll down to just below the Quick Reply box. Look to the left. It's below New Topic and Post Reply.

Fishyfanatic said:
You're not looking at the right spot. Right now, scroll down to just below the Quick Reply box. Look to the left. It's below New Topic and Post Reply.

I'm not doing a quick reply. I'm doing a new topic.

After you post the topic you scroll down to the bottom of the page below the Quick Reply and click the link.

So why bother having the notify checkbox on the new post page?

Probably so in the future when the new updates come out the admins don't have to re-write both the code for the check box to be there in all of the styles AND the code for it to work properly. Why make yourself more work? But maybe Kevin or Aaron can answer that.

The fix would be a total recode of the site. We have close to a hundred enhancements on the site above and beyond the stock code and a recode would take litrally weeks of time. With a new verison of the software in release cantadate state its not going to be long before the software we use has a new release anyway with many of our 'hacked' features built in.

flanque, have you ever used the egosearch feature to find your posts. IMO it's easier doing that.

Alternately you could watch each forum which will email you new topics and the ones you reply too. Click on the forum, upper right under Google search with the skin you're using.
watchhc7.png

Back
Top Bottom