Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2006, 08:12 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular

The premises behind a "clickable" link in a phpBB post is comprised of two parts:

1. A "Target URL" --> What document will open when a link is clicked; and
2. A "Target Mask" --> Something "pretty" to cover the the "http://www..." link.

CREATING A CLICKABLE TEXT LINK

[URL = http://www/Image_FileName.JPG ] A Link to My Picture File [/URL]
... The above is of the format [URL = Target URL ] Target Mask [/URL]
... There are blank spaces in the prior which would be omitted when creating a clickable link of course.

CREATING A CLICKABLE THUMBNAIL LINK

This assumes that on your host server you have these two files: "Image_FileName.JPG" and "TN_ImageFileName.JPG".
... "Image_FileName.JPG" -> Your "full size image", example: 800 x 600 DPI
... "TN_ImageFileName.JPG" -> Your "thumbnail image", example: 96 x 96 DPI

So adapting from the clickable TEXT link code, we replace the text "mask" we created for the image URL which was "A Link to My Picture File" with a thumbnail "mask".

[URL = http://www/Image_FileName.JPG ] [IMG] http://www/TN_ImageFileName.JPG [/IMG] [/URL]

So, we replaced clickable text "A Link to My Picture File" link to the full size image... with a clickable thumbnail to the full size image.

Old 01-10-2006, 08:16 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
I must have been editing my message while you wrote your quick reply. I hope my verbose reply will enable newbies to understand what the code is actually doing. Your reply was good for more experienced user but I did not want to assume this user was experienced.

Old 01-10-2006, 08:31 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Regular

Please note... if you want your thumbnails to appear in a "table" (x-amount of thumbnails in one row) instead of a "column" (one thumbnail, new line, one thumbnail, new line, etc.) you need to paste your thumbnail code lines into a text file, turn OFF "Text Wrap", then hit [END] key, then [DEL] key, the [SPACE BAR], and repeat... to eliminate the CRxLF (Carriage Return x Line Feed) between thumbnails so it appears your code is one long continuous block of text.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:23 PM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The easiest thing is to use a photo hosting service like the one in my sig that has preformated bbcode to do just this.

The problem is the current verison of this site has clickable thumbnails broken on SOME styles. There is no fix to this except we are in the very final cosmetic stages of an extensve rewrite of the site (2+ months in the works) and when we go live with this rewrite this issue will be fixed.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:07 AM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Thanks BrownBullhead & fishfreek I’m pretty adapt at using html/BBcode and the way BrownBullhead explained it makes perfect sense now. I was just hoping there was an easier way ie: the [thumbnail] code that would automatically resize the image for me. I guess that would be a bit trickier. I’ll just use photobucket or photolocker to do the code for me

Tags
oto

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com