Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2004, 10:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I say put as many fish as you can and maintain water within parameters!!!
Why doesn't that statement surprise me coming from you Overstocker?

I can't say I agree with it tho! Water parameters are just one of the factors in keeping happy, healthy fish; there is territorial needs as well as room to move and don't forget surface area!

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 10:33 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Water parameters are just one of the factors in keeping happy, healthy fish; there is territorial needs as well as room to move and don't forget surface area!
Great point, a lot of people have overstocked tanks or incompatible fish tearing each other apart and say it is OK because the water parameters are OK and they do 50% water changes every two days (or whatever).

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 11:41 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

First, I'd like to say that this site is the friendliest of the half dozen or so that I visit. The members are very quick to respond to questions and the advice is top-rate. I haven't seen any trollers here - no egomaniacs, no know-it-alls - just lots of nice folks who enjoy the hobby and would like to see others succeed with it too. The advisors amaze me with their ability to answer the same cycling/ich questions over and over without showing the smallest sign of irritation - they all must be schoolteachers.

When members - especially newer members - post a question, the rest of us don't know if the poster is a 10 yo with his first tank or someone who has been in the hobby for decades. It's very easy to underestimate someone's fishkeeping ability based upon the info contained in one post. Hopefully, nobody gets offended since no offense is intended.

Cautionary advice should not be misinterpreted as discouragement. If you have the financial means, necessary experience, and motivation to take on any fishkeeping challenge, I say go for it. The people who post the "Do you know what you're getting yourself into?" messages are not trying to discourage - its just that they have seen far too many posts containing the words 'pacu' and '30 gal'.

Good luck with your freshwater ray. I've seen them in my lfs and I think they're cool - too bad they don't work in a community tank full of tetras lol.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:38 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTOFFER
Cautionary advice should not be misinterpreted as discouragement.
Ding ding ding ding ding!

As noted, it's almost impossible to tell the level of one's experience unless it is explicitly spelled out. Is it then not appropriate to be overly cautious with advice, particularly when it comes to tank siz/stocking levels/growth/compatibility? It may come off as condescending or unhelpful to a questioner of more advanced knowledge, but it truly seems to be the prudent action for anyone attempting to provide advice when the questioner's level of knowledge is unknown.

We have a recent, prolific poster who clearly has done most of his/her learning only by asking questions here. It's readily apparent this person has gotten ahead of themselves and not done much, if any real research elsewhere. When someone of this level is posting questions, the lowest common denominator for answering all advice questions can become unnervingly low to those with more knowledge seeking advice.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:00 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I agree that this site is over-all friendly and quick to respond, but I was just reading through the "black ghost knife issue" thread and it's getting uncomfortable!
Old 02-11-2004, 01:14 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'm sorry to the rest of you for delaying my response to you about my comment but I feel it my obligation to respond to ScottS's comment first as i find it extremely offensive as any of you would in my position.
Quote:
We have a recent, prolific poster who clearly has done most of his/her learning only by asking questions here. It's readily apparent this person has gotten ahead of themselves and not done much, if any real research elsewhere. When someone of this level is posting questions, the lowest common denominator for answering all advice questions can become unnervingly low to those with more knowledge seeking advice.
Actually- I hate computers. I didn't look on the internet at all before about 6 months ago. I run 7 tanks. 3 freshwater, 1 FO saltwater, and 3 saltwater reefs (20, 55, and 90g). The only fish death ive ever been responsible for was my first starfish, that i made ill enough for crabs to exploit. That concludes my unnecessary defense.

It's this kind of elitist comment i was refering to. People are sometimes far to quick to assume superiority over those that they do not know. I would really appreciate any input from site administration on this as it seems to have become a fairly significant issue.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:22 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

uhm... i don't know about 'elitist,' but i agree that on occasion i think older members can be a little discouraging. a lot of people have read the forums, asked questions, but it doesn't sink in over night. but now that we've all read the post, lets take it into consideration and get back to our fishes!
Old 02-11-2004, 01:26 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to LAGlocker Send a message via Yahoo to LAGlocker
I do not believe that comment was directed at you per se. I believe I know the person Scott was refeering too, and I have to say I agree with him. The person he was referring to does seem to want to rush into this head first with little or no preperation, or even thought as to the consequences of his/her actions to the fish. If you take offense to that, I am sorry, but as I stated earlier in this thread, if someone asks for a opinion then that is surely what they get on a message board site. It is up to the person asking the question whether they listen to those opinions or not. If someone gets upset over a opinion then that is not the fault of the person giving said opinion. I also do not believe that anyone is claiming, or even trying to establish superiority over anyone else on this site, but it does seem more expedient to reply in the simplest terms possible for ease, and in the chance that the person posting the question is a complete newbie to fish keeping. For those who do have the experience it should be obvious that posting like such, even if it does seem to discourage, is only one persons attempt to be helpful and cause as little wasted time and effort as possible. Also as was stated by another poster earlier in this same thread, we cannot know with out you stating explecidly what experience if any you have, so there fore we assume by a common factor that you possibly have none or very little. As I said none of this is said to critize you, or anyone else, but perhaps you should cut each of us the same slack you want, and treat us the same as you wish to be treated and understand we are here to try to help those who ask a question the best way we can.
end of rant.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:34 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Questions on this board get asked by all types of people with all types of experience, when replying to a new poster, by far the safest thing to do is presume they are limited in fishkeeping knowledge and try to steer them in the correct direction.

"It's this kind of elitist comment i was refering to. People are sometimes far to quick to assume superiority over those that they do not know."

No one is trying to be superior, they are just trying to help. When offering assistance, it is best to start at a really low level and work up from there. Assuming that someone has a deep background in fish would land a lot of new people in hot water. If you have trouble with cautionary advice, you should give much more information about yourself in your posts. Over time, people will get to know you as someone with experience and you would get different replies.

I have a deep background in computer repair and troubleshooting. When I ask a question to other support people, they treat me like a total nub until I tell them I have been working with computers for almost 10 years.

"I would really appreciate any input from site administration on this as it seems to have become a fairly significant issue."

Can you explain the issue again please? I am honestly still bafalled as to what bothered you so much.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 01:45 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

OK....let's step back a bit and try to calm this down. Surprised...I do understand your reaction to the way things developed. It sounds to me like your teacup stingray will be in good hands and has a happy home waiting for it. As an experienced aquarist, I'm sure you understand the frustration that people can feel when they see a less experienced person making an obvious mistake that will end up being discouraging to them and possibly disastrous to the fish.

Let me relate a story, if you'll indulge me:

I was in a local fish store not too long ago and noticed a couple of baby (2 inch) Red-tailed Catfish for sale. As I was admiring the fish (and wishing I had a 500 gallon tank to put them in), a customer came up to the tank, a salesman in tow. She announced, in no uncertain terms, that she wanted both of the Red-tail Cats. Being a busybody, I turned to her and asked her what size aquarium she had at home. She proudly announced that she had a 10 gallon tank and a 5 gallon tank. I decided at that point to gently point out the error of her ways and led her to the store's large display tanks where they have a couple of 3+ foot Red-tails. I explained to her that the fish she was planning to buy were just babies and that they would eventually grow to enormous size. Her response?? "So I should put them in the 10 gallon tank then." I finally managed to talk her out of the Red-tail Catfish but as I was leaving the store I saw her with the unfortunate salesman once again in tow....animatedly pointing at a tank full of Peacock Cichlid babies.

There are times when all of us see the POTENTIAL for a problem to occur and the more concerned of us will try to point out the impending pitfalls. If, on occasion, we err on the side of caution and end up seeming condescending or 'snobbish' then egos can get a little 'bent' and situations like this one ensue.

It is with the best of intentions that the people on here occasionally try to prevent folks from repeating the mistakes of others and I certainly don't think anybody would maliciously try to discourage a fellow aquarist from pursuing his or her interests to the fullest.

Tags
ick, split

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com