Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-11-2004, 01:52 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with ScottS that it is far preferable to give too much cautious advice than not to give enough. After all, one can always skim over the posts that state what one already knows. As most threads develop, the general fishkeeping experience of the poster becomes more apparent and the responses become more focused on the issue at hand.

I tend to base my fishkeeping decisions on a consensus opinion that I glean from the internet and my lfs. If twenty people tell me that keeping a pacu in a 55 gal tank is suicidal for the fish, then I am not going to buy a pacu - even if five people vehemently argue that it worked for them.

Re: the black ghost knife threads: I feel for people who post a question only to be told that their tank is too small for their fish. It sucks to hear that you are doing something wrong or that you acted on some bad advice or that you may have to part with some fish, but.....see the above paragraph. In the case of overstocked tanks, it would really be irresponsible for the experienced fishkeepers here not to share that unfortunate, but true information. Nearly all fish diseases are merely opportunistic infections that prey on fish that had been stressed by something else, be it poor water quality, harassment by tankmates, or overcrowding.

The black ghost knife threads only started getting ugly after the original poster accused two other posters of hypocrisy because they have slightly overcrowded tanks. As I see it, more experienced hobbyists can afford to push the envelope a little bit because 1) they will likely stick with a strict regiment of tank maintenence and 2) they have an trained eye and will probably see trouble brewing before it becomes disastrous. To me, this is not hypocrisy - it's just knowing from experience how far you can bend the rules.

Old 02-11-2004, 02:04 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Now where was I? I just got home tonight and discovered this thread full of people talking about what I said. Im not sure how i feel about all this. At my current level of inebriation im am unable to support my previous words very well at all, so please excuse my jumbled reply. I think it fairly safe to say at this point that i had no idea the gravity that would be put on that single sentence. I had absolutly no idea that would be such a big deal. I would first like to say that Im fairly certain i have never read a discouraging comment from a site administrator. Although I understand that mebers don't know the age or experience of someone asking a question, I think that to often people presume superiority and respond by telling someone that they are doing something wrong. This type of response is most evident in posts relating to tank size or compatibility. For example: the question might be about say, an oscar. Something to the effect of "Ive got an oscar in with a pleco in my 20 gal and he having a problem with his..." whatever the question is about I'd be willing to bet someone would give an alarmed comment about the tank size. this response is sometimes more of a statement that oscar should never be in a 20 gallon. Thats when it becomes a problem because other people see this statement and assume that the person who wrote the original post is new and uninformed. Oscar in my area are commonly sold at about 1". A 1" oscar would be just fine in a 20 with at least a month or 2 of growth. The person asking the question could have 200 gallon pond lined up once the oscar gets bigger, you just dont know. My question was about how to properly raise a ray, and the comment i was responding to when i said that about people being to quick to discourage others was in response to someone assuming that i had done no research other than to order the ray and then cluelessly ask what to do with the things once i got it. This is like someone assuming from an oscar in a 20 gal that this was definitly the permenant home for the oscar and the owner had no idea this was bad.

as for ScottS: no offense to Aquarium Advice but it would be hard to be succesfull just by reading Q's and A's on a single website. I am sure AA would agree.

Ill respond to this again next time im online after i sleep off my liquid mental block.

Old 02-11-2004, 02:13 AM   #23

I could have sworn ScottS was refering to me as I fail to see the reference to another member that jumps into things. Im not online enough to notice these inside AA things. If this was about me please ignore this post. If not then I am very sorry for assuming that was about me and writing an angered response. (I thought I did fairly well at controling myself in my response to ScottS, and if you knew me you'd know what I mean) understand that I did not see the reference and all that left was a comment about me. My apologies.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:14 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

[quote="Suprised"]
as for ScottS: no offense to Aquarium Advice but it would be hard to be succesfull just by reading Q's and A's on a single website. I am sure AA would agree.
[quote]

Now I'm perplexed. First, I'm an elitist for suggesting that a clearly uninformed, young poster is making several errors and quite clearly going too far too fast. I've suggested numerous times that this person do more research, particularly in books at the library.

Now you're agreeing with me that it is hard to be successful just reading Q & A's at one site.

Then again, one who chooses to admittedly post inebriated, may not be one to question.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:26 AM   #25

Scott I still dont understand if that was directed at me. I wrote that post before i was able to read anyone saying that was about someone else. If it was about someone else then i am very sorry for what i said, understand i was defending myself from what i understood as an attack against me. Although my response to you was aggressive i thought i was far nicer than it should have been if your words were about me. Please clear this up for me.

my last quote you referenced was pulled from something where i had, a few sentances prior talked a little about my succes and the second sentence of that quote was to keep from seeming like the sentence before it was anti AA.
3 tanks in planning- 1 tank cycling
Suprised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 02:27 AM   #26

P.S. that thing at the bottom about my tanks is incredibly outdated.
3 tanks in planning- 1 tank cycling
Suprised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 02:34 AM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Christmasfish Send a message via Skype™ to Christmasfish
The most negativity I see is when the same poster tries to ask the same question several threads to try to sway a consensus that doesnt agree to what they want. Or.....When a person tries to justify themselves it makes them target to censure.
I got negative feedback on some posts because I mistyped a reading( whups) or didn't clearly say what I planned.
Some posters seem to want breeding tips when they haven't even finished cycling their tanks. And will ask what fish are most "wanted" There be no money in it except for Petsmart.
Or decide they really want weird sensitive species they know nothing about
(like me and my knife and bichir).
I am here for the info. And the more different experiences I read about..the better idea I have. And some things should be discouraged as casual pets. Like most Tank busters. I think baby oscars are cute, and the 2 ft ones smart and interesting. But there is no way I can EVER house an adult. How many here can?
My bichir is generally labeled, so I must assume the largest size and prepare for that. No one is perfect, but it is much more peaceful to say, "wow! I never knew that" or "oops! i never thought of that happening..." Than to say you are being picked at. or to get defensive and stubborn. And many of us do have too many fish for our currently posted tanks..they can creep up in numbers...Suddenly your fish are petitioning you to live in a roomy flat in downtown Tokyo and you go "Doh!" and buy a new tank. Heh! that is where MTS sets in ^.^

Mega-pet stores prolly should not be allowed to sell animals as retail "items".
Christmasfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 02:40 AM   #28

I will again state that i had no idea that anyone would ever respond to that in the thread it was in, let alone start a new thread to discuss it.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:46 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Suprised, I think you have elicited a very interesting thread.

When I read your tecup ray post, I too assumed that you were a newbie. In fact, my first thought was 'why is this guy asking for advice AFTER ordering the fish?' No offense intended lol! I guess it's just because most of the relatively recent members who post here ARE newbies. It's obvious to me now that you have more fishkeeping experience (and more tanks ) than me, but honestly, how could I have surmised that from your original post?

Why didn't you post any replies in your original thread? That would have clarified things and directed the thread back toward your question.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:02 AM   #30
AA Team Emeritus

The poster ScottS was referring to is not Suprised.

Now I've got to go to work, hopefully this thread can rest peacefully

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ick, split

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com