Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-11-2004, 08:34 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey. I HAVE a pet rock. And a cat. And a buncha fish (and fish babies!). And squirrels living in the walls. And a few racoons living in the neighbor's unused shed. They're all living animals (well..ok..cept for the pet rock LOL) and as such deserve my respect. I'm not one of the hindu (?) folk that won't step on ants, but I will open to window to let a wasp out instead of killing it.

I think I speak for a number of folk here when I say the concern new members see when not so great choices are made come from that respect for living things. We as humans have a choice to remove ourselves from bad situations; our pets don't have that option. And we take fish VERY seriously here *grin*

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 08:41 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allivymar
We as humans have a choice to remove ourselves from bad situations; our pets don't have that option.
Well, the fish do.....kinda......we call it carpet diving.

Old 02-11-2004, 08:46 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Thought that was carpet surfing.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 09:01 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmy2cents
Quote:
Thought that was carpet surfing.
Only if you have broadloom carpet like a berber. If you have shag or a deep saxony pile, it's probably more of a carpet dive.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:12 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to cdawson
hmmm what do you call it when it's a hard wood floor then?
Old 02-11-2004, 09:13 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Painful

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 09:13 PM   #57
AA Team Emeritus

Since we seem to be drifting off topic, I assume this thread has pretty much played out.

Moved to the Site Help/Feedback forum.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 06:49 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well that all got incredibly out of hand. Anyway, the thing i was refering to in my original post was people being quick to tell people the should never have that oscar in a 20, as oposed to asking if it will be moved to a larger one.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:02 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't take offense, But there are alot of posters that might put an oscar in a 20 gal with all intentions of keeping it there permanatly. Sometimes we forget to ask if it's a temp or not.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 04:54 PM   #60
AA Team Emeritus

boy... I'm away for a few days and look what I miss! 8O

I think that everyone has pretty much covered everything (and kudos for everyone for being mature!), but I wanted to make one quick response to the original poster that I hope will help them understand a little more why we make so many cautionary posts to new members.

In your own post you offered the scenario of someone posting about putting an oscar in a 20 gallon tank. You stated yourself that if the oscar was only an inch or so he'd have plenty of room for only a couple months. Personally, i'm not that familiar with oscars so I'm going to go on your information as a hypothetical scenario.

For arguments sake, lets say I knew something about oscars, and knew, as you stated, it would outgrow a 20 gallon tank in a few months. If I were to read the post you gave as the example here's what would go through my head, .oO("hmm thats going to end up a large fish, I wonder if he plans on keeping it there or moving it to something bigger...") you said,
Quote:
You just don't know
and thats exactly what we're working with. I don't know. I can't know unless I tackle that subject. As someone who wants to encourage others in the hobby, I feel an obligation to be sure new members (note, new members, not new hobbyists) have all the information I can make available.

Given that I don't know what the example posters plans are, and given I want that person to have a long enjoyable relationship with his oscar and given that I want to ensure the fish itself has a long healthy life my response to the example post would include an answer to their direct question, as well as a cautionary comment about, "an oscar in a 20 gallon".

However that comment is made the intent is the same, "I don't know" so I have two options. Assume the poster is aware of the size of an adult oscar, or assume that the poster is not aware. If I assume they are aware, and I'm wrong, both the person and the fish suffer emotionaly and the fish could well suffer physicaly. However, if I assume they don't know and I caution them, if I'm right, I've helped them both. If I'm wrong, no harm is done, they simply reply, "don't worry about the 20 gal, thats just QT for the next 2 months while my 600 gallon wall tank finishes cycling".

Thats the reasoning I use when replying to post from someone I'm not personally familiar with. I believe thats probably why others post that way as well. We're trying to encourage you by ensuring you have a successful experience.

so this was my opinion. I hope we have encouraged you (And those who felt discouraged) to stay an active member here. We look forward to helping in anyway we can. Now do me a favor and get that poor oscar out of that 20 gallon!

Tags
ick, split

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com