Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-03-2002, 11:36 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Redesign on the top nav links

As you may have already noticed the top nav links have changed. We feel that the current look is a bit more 'sleek' in appearance.

All of the links (minus the usergroup) that have been removed from the top nav bar have been placed on the front page either visible on the left under the main navigation box or on the right under your name after you have logged in.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 04:31 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
I would like to see diffent colors on the site. It looks much like the other forums on the net. I think this is kind of a turn off when people visit the site and see it looks similar to all the other forum sites. First impression is very important and I think something as simple as color could make a great first impression.

Old 12-03-2002, 04:38 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Its in the works.

This site is very much not stock as far as the features and addons. Each feature and addon makes it that much harder to change the look of the site.

If you visit some of the other Pet Advice Network sites you can see some other 'looks' that I have used on other sites.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Grant R
I think a good idea also, if possible, would be to add the detailed 'who's online' feature to the bar, so others can see who is online and where etc.

Just a thought ...
Grant R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 09:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Somethingfishy Send a message via Yahoo to Somethingfishy
I just noticed I cannot get into the PM message box, it seems to have disappeared. Any other way to get in apart from clicking on the PM button under someones post? Or with out having to go back to the front page?
Old 12-04-2002, 10:04 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

On the main page of the site under your avatar (after you have logged in) you will see three links. These links are to view New posts since your last visit, Access your PM Inbox (This link will tell you if you have new messages or not) and the final link is to edit your profile.

Of course if you wan to to send a PM you can either click on a post by a member or you can go to your Inbox thru the front page link and then type the name of the member you wish to send a message to.

When I was picking what links would be up top I was trying to make sure the links in general would not be to long that it would require the page to be scrolled left/right on computers with a resolution of 800x600. In fact the baner is almost 640 wide so our site SHOULD look decent even at 640x480 if anyone is still running at that low of a res.

Old 12-04-2002, 12:17 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Well after thinking about it I did some further tweaking. The PM link is back up there.

Also changed from :: to | between the links.

Grant,

Not sure exactly what your wanting when yo usay the whos online in the top. If you go to the Forum index page at the bottom you will see a big list of all the members who have visited since midnight and also who is currently online. YOu can click on "whos online" to see where in the site they are.

Old 12-04-2002, 12:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Somethingfishy Send a message via Yahoo to Somethingfishy
Thanks FF,

Looks much better with the | in between the links.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:23 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Grant R
FF, this was the link I think it would be a good idea to have in conjunction with the new menu bar -

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewonline.php

For the obvious reasons. It's always handy to see who's online ( I know about the main page listing ) , but in detail would be even more helpful.
EG, to check if someone is replying to a certain topic, or checking if they're available for PM exchange instantly etc.

Grant R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 09:41 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Grant you are aware that the info on that page is a collection of activity over a 5 min period. So if someone logs in to reply to 1 message and stays connected for 30 sec they will remain in that list for 5 min after they had left.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com