reputation points

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bige

Aquarium Advice Addict
Everyone I click on it says I need to spread the love first. But it seems like people I have never seen before. Anything I need to do. Coincidence?

The software won't allow you to keep giving the same person reputation over and over. It requires that you give others rep and that a certain amount of time has passed.

Are you sure this is happening on people you've never seen before?

Bige said:
Everyone I click on it says I need to spread the love first. But it seems like people I have never seen before. Anything I need to do. Coincidence?

Click on what? I use the app 99% of the time and don't see the rep points, so it's a non-issue for me. When I was forced :p to use the website, I saw people asking (being nice;)) for rep points in their signature, but that's really kinda sad IMHO.

Well, I dont think its same people and I have been "spreading the love". Do you know how many people you have to give to before you can go back to a previous person? I really am not trying to just give to one person. Not sure.

As for giving points for being nice, I really try to give points for knowledge so others can see good advice was given.

To add to rep you click on the scale next to the dot on bottom next to yeild sign.

Actually I'm not sure, I want to say it's around 10 or so, but I'd have to check. I did run a scan and don't see that you've left any reputation for anyone since December of last year, so this is kinda odd.

I don't think the reputation feature is working on the mobile app as of yet, however.

"+1" usually just means you agree with the previous post.

i feel like i have been having this issue with rep as well. i just started trying to give it out again for the first time in a long time, and have only successfully given rep to one person.

I think maybe it should also be noted that only posting +1 is against the community rules. It's fine to post +1 and then continue with an explanation or further advice, just not '+1' or something like that which does not contribute to the thread.

As far as the rep question- I don't think it matters how long it's been, it matters how many other people you give it to. This prevents people from continually giving the same person rep over and over again.

I think maybe it should also be noted that only posting +1 is against the community rules. It's fine to post +1 and then continue with an explanation or further advice, just not '+1' or something like that which does not contribute to the thread.

As far as the rep question- I don't think it matters how long it's been, it matters how many other people you give it to. This prevents people from continually giving the same person rep over and over again.

+1

But so is bumping and I see that a lot more ;). If I could give rep points on the app (see them too), then they'd have a lot more meaning and I don't think I'm the only apper that feels that way.

but what if there is one person who gives good advice over and over?? i run into this problem a lot... there are a handful of people who i consistently want to give rep to for their posts....but a lot of those posts go unnoticed because i can't give them rep. it's nice to just let someone know you liked that post, without having to tell everyone else as well. does that make sense? lol

yeah, i would love to see rep on the app as well. i use the app 50% of the time. it's nice to know what kind of rep the poster has. i know there are a lot of knowledgeable people who may be new to the site so they have no rep yet, but there are also a lot of un-knowledgeable people who just have a lot of posts and no rep. it's signs like that that are helpful when deciding who's advice to take

Rep is nice, but everyone needs to remember... don't take advice blindly! Read, research, read more, and then decide for yourself what *you* think. Taking advice here without engaging your brain, even from people with many green squares, is no different than taking whatever your LFS says as fact. "Well the bottle *says* it cures ich, marine velvet, cyano, AND gives you 0ppm nitrates..."

Regarding the original question though... I've never seen that issue when giving rep. I know I can't give it to someone that I've already given rep to within XX number of times... but I've always been able to give it to new people.

Kurt_Nelson said:
Rep is nice, but everyone needs to remember... don't take advice blindly! Read, research, read more, and then decide for yourself what *you* think. Taking advice here without engaging your brain, even from people with many green squares, is no different than taking whatever your LFS says as fact. "Well the bottle *says* it cures ich, marine velvet, cyano, AND gives you 0ppm nitrates..."

Regarding the original question though... I've never seen that issue when giving rep. I know I can't give it to someone that I've already given rep to within XX number of times... but I've always been able to give it to new people.

+1

I thnk people forget that this is an "advice" forum and not a "you have to do this or else" forum. If there's one thing everyone should remember, Google is your best friend and so is AA's search engine (although it could use some fine tuning;)).

But so is bumping and I see that a lot more ;).

It`s still against site rules. You could help us out alot if you report these threads that have be bumped so we can remove it. We remove all of them that we see but we cant catch them all. With your help we can catch those. Thanks

The reputation is the green squares right? well my question is why are some green squares dark green and some light green? :)

The reputation is the green squares right? well my question is why are some green squares dark green and some light green? :)

I don't have an answer to that but hovering the mouse pointer over the green squares is pretty funny :D

Back
Top Bottom