Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2006, 09:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
RSS help

I use firefox.

AA.com doesn't show up on live bookmarks like other sites with rss feeds. Usually, when I go to a page with a live feed, an icon appears in the address bar--I just have to click on it to put it in my bookmarks.

CNN.com, BBC.co.uk, NPR.org are a few examples.

Any ideas why this is?

Old 03-16-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
No idea but I do know if you install a RSS reader in firefox you can set it up as a live bookmark. I suspect there needs to be something in the html headers of the page pointing out that there is an rss version of the page available and in our case we simply have a rss link.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:27 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
http://johnbokma.com/firefox/rss-and...bookmarks.html

This gives info on live bookmarks. While we could and may implement the orange icon its important to note our RSS feeds operate in some rather unique and dynamic ways.

Click on the RSS icon on the home page or the forum index page and get the last 15 posts on the forums as a whole. Click on the RSS feed on a particular forum and get the last 15 posts in that forum. Click on the RSS feed icon for a particular post and get the RSS feed for that post only.

To get the orange icon their has to be code in the <head> section of the code. Every page on this site shares a common header so the orange live bookmark icon would lose this customization as far as how the data appears or what type of data appears. Of course for the more customized feeds one can use the manual subscribe method described in the link above.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:37 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

A few moments later and my genious comes to light. You now have your live bookmark icon and you have a choice between a static last 15 topics simular to the recent posts block on the home page in what you get or you can use the dynamic rss feed to obtain feeds from specific forums or feeds from specific topics.

Old 03-17-2006, 04:31 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Awesome thanks, I'll try it out when I get home, work only has IE.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

works perfect thanks a lot!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com