Self Defeating....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptainAhab

Thanx but no.....
Now you have to wait 60 seconds before reporting posts? Kinda works against reporting those spammers. Seems to put the punishment on the reporter. Hope some picks up the slack.

Yeah I noticed that too. I only report one post now if there is multiple from the same sender. I figure the user gets banned/deleted so I just report one.

Sadly though there are usually several posters w/ several posts.. I only report one of each.. well only did report one of each.

Instead of instituting something like this, there should be a minimum post count or something similar before the signature option becomes available. I recognize that it won't stop everything but it would this particular type

I don't think any of these spammers are using sigs. At least the ones this morning are not using sigs. They just append the links to the bottom of their post. That is a good idea though for other ones.

All in all I think we have a pretty good setup already. The members know not to post to any of the spam threads and the spam is usually gone within a few hours.

I wanna know how they do the spamming?? Is it computerized?
Because sometimes the different paragraphs that they post are related to actual fish stuff, and sometimes its totally not, like things like child-rearing or poetry.
Whats up with spamming, and what is the purpose???

its always weird... most of the time theyre trying to get people to click the links in their signatures to go to their site to sign up for something that will most likely rip you off... there have been some weirder ones lately that just say "interesting, thanks for sharing" or something like that... no clue what they are all about... i dont think its computerized because to sign up, you have to go through a captcha and a computer cannot recognize one to my knowledge

Just as a side note also:

If you have FaceBook, there is a YouTube virus going around that says your friends are sending you videos. BE CAREFUL, since it seems to be a worm and trojan, and whatever else they can come up with.

I don't think any of these spammers are using sigs....

I guess I should ask what the definition of spamming is, on this forum. If you have a link in your signature line that leads to a business website... isn't that spamming? It's one thing to post a link to your blog about fish, but isn't it considered spamming to post a link to, say, a plumbing shop? Or a place that sells "discount" cell phones? Especially if the post adds nothing constructive to the thread. If folks want to advertise, shouldn't they pay like all the other legitimate advertisers here do? And then there's always the possibility that the link in the signature line leads you to a compromised page that may try to serve you a virus. This type of spam is here, definitely.

I've kind of given up on reporting what I consider spam because of what Ahab mentioned. Not only do you have to wait a minute between reports, but the script used to report the spam seems to lock things up for a good 30 seconds before you get your browser back. That, and the fact that I've seen what I consider "signature line spam" stick around for weeks... it just seems like it isn't a big priority.

I would agree on your definition of spamming, Kurt. I too noticed the lag issue with the report post button. I think we all agree the wait time to submit another report is a bit annoying to say the least.

I'm not aware of any recent spammers that make it longer than a day or so on here. Typically the reported posts get Mod/Admin attention within hours from what I've noticed.

Back
Top Bottom