Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2002, 11:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Grant R
Site Idea ..

OK, what do people think of this idea : somewhere within the site, there could be a map (plan view) of the world. Detailed / Not Detailed , Large / Small , whatever really.
The end idea being, we mark all of the members locations on the map and as the site grows, it will be a wicked way of seeing the ' AquariumAdvice member locations '
Also, for people non-USA like me, it'd be good to see where in America you all are. My geography of America is quite poor !!

As I say, just an idea.

Grant R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 11:35 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Moved to The Lounge to get additional feedback from members.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 12:17 PM   #3

Sounds kinda cool to me. Would it be hard to do?
Old 11-11-2002, 12:18 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I have to agree, I like the idea, but not sure of it's feasibility. Might need some computer gurus to sound off here as well.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 12:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't think it'd be too hard to conjeur up really, if you could find a decent & suitable map image.
Old 11-11-2002, 12:25 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I think a map image would be easy to come up with, but the question of how interactive it is, is a computer thing. It wouldn' be too hard for a admin or mod to add a mark to a jpeg image, but that wasn't exactly what I was thinking. (Don't ask, I'm not real sure myself what I was thinking ) But it might be impracticle. As the meber base increases, it would become a full time thing for one of us to be adding a mark to a map. For it to happen automatically upon membership....well that will take some programing, I think.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 12:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was thinking more along the lines of the more regular posters being added eiither by :

a) request
b) admins choice.
c) on once a certain amount of posts are reached ... and so on.

Could a once a week / fortnightly update work perhaps ? I just thought theres not many websites with this idea (think i've seen one) in three years of surfing the internet and with the right thought, probably could be done.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:06 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
There was something in development by the software development group that wrote this forum software a few months back. I just checked on the status and it appears like the project was either abandoned or was placed on the back burner. I have requested an update on the status.

The overall interface of this visitor map is not the best and at this moment the only thing I know of that is out there is not compatible with our site

Given that I am not a programming wiz I would not know the first place to start in writting something of this nature.

I will keep this in my head when i am looking for other enhancments that are released. Until then the best I can do is ask that everyone fill in the location field on their profile.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 12:46 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
sounds like a really neat idea to me, but it also sounds difficult.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:40 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

map

I think it would be cool, if you wish I can ask someone at my school how to do it.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com