So, what did happen? (Redirecting of topic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
*edit*

Did some more digging, but in obvious areas where I didn't think to look (of course!).

I noticed that one admin, maybe a mod, mentioned that the photo contests were like pulling teeth. Another person mentioned that (to paraphrase) AA seemed to slowly be bleeding to death.

Now, I *KNOW* this is not what I want to happen. I am pretty darn sure there are others out there who also feel the same.

Does anyone have any ideas we can offer up to liven up the site? Maybe a different photo contest? I know there are other sites that offer photo contests of tanks each month. That would be good for the "aquascapers."

Sooooo, what do you think?

Well, I have just come back to this place shortly ago and I know that I sure don't want it to go away. :(

We could try a bunch of things. I know if there were a lot more articles and maybe presented in a better way we could draw more people. You know, like a one stop place for all the info everyone needs?

And are there prizes to go along with these photo contests? That may help peple be more interested. On this page I'm at right now I don't see any ads, and certainly wouldn't mind there being ads as long as they're not invasive and can help the site.

All ideas and input to get more interest in contests is great. AA had a bit of a down time due to the trojan issues but things will be back to normal I'm sure very soon. After all AA is the best fish forum on the net and has the best members anywhere. Good members such as yourselves will help bring the site back around again. I will speak with other mods and admins about your suggestions and am sure that all suggestions are welcome.

You can definitely submit pics of the entire tank. Just be sure to put it in the appropriate section (SW or FW).

well, I know we can already submit pics of entire tanks, I've just seen competitions (friendly of course) on other sites and thought it may be something more people would be willing to submit pictures of. As was stated, it was like pulling teeth to get members to submit pictures.

I think a face lift on the home page ought to be the first step. Dates and info need to be freshened up in order to show the currently less frequent members that AA is still the top place to be!

Also, didn't there used to be a site that ranked the fish forums based on how many people clicked on a link from the forum site? I am heading to bed now so I will dig for this link tomorrow sometime. But I remember AA being #1 many weeks in a row because of our member participation.

Any other ideas? I really want to encourage "shadow" members (I don't like the term "lurkers") to come out and voice opinions. This is your site too! Lets get some more suggestions to help the admin out - and in the end, make this an even more incredible community.

AA's sister site Fantasy Reef(mainly SW, but freshwater too!) has a few ads. They have a newsletter, photo contests. It is a bit smaller site than AA, but growing pretty decently I think.

I do agree that AA could use a facelift, the color scheme is rather bland, and some things are outdated like mentioned before.

The site you were speaking of is AquaRank. It is based on the number of people that vote for the site each week. A link in my signature goes to the page to vote for AA.

Mike- You can change your color scheme in your profile.

I am moving this post to the Site Feedback forum.

I really like the setup of this site compared to the other sites. I hope that does not get changed. More definately needs to be done with photo's. How about an AA allstar photo gallery where members get to vote on each other's tank and the top 20 or so are posted as a link on the main page. Every month the photo's actually get changed. This would be a photo of the entire tank not just a really good photoshopped picture of 1 fish.

fiji, great points!

I think it will help the new owner to know what we do like. I agree that the setup is fantastic. And very user friendly in my opinion.

I also really like your idea for the "aa allstar." I wonder if data is kept on the pictures already in the gallery. They have a thumbsup system and it would be a great way to use existing photos.

I have always loved this site although I am not on it as much as I used to be. For some reason I let getting married, work, and other non tank related activities get in the way~~~~ I have seen several of the other sites and IMO nothing even comes close to the level of friendly advice that is given here. Im game to do whatever is necessary to help out and get the site cranking again!

Who is the person designing the site and making the official decisions on the direction of the site??
Will there be more advertising on the site now to help fund the costs of running the sight??

Maybe every month The #1 voted on tank photo. The member would get a $100. DrFosters & Smith gift certificate( or any other supplier). I am sure there is definately a supplier out there willing to even give $100. away for free it would be money well spent for them to advertise there business to the Aquarium Advice members since most of us spend 1000's upon 1000's of dollars on suppllies the prize may not cost the website anything at all. And the odds are good if we had a 100 dollar gift certificate our order would end up being more and making that supplier money.

Just some thoughts I thought I would share.

Just to clarify, Fantasy Reef is not AA's sister site. It is an independant site. Not owned by the same people at all. Fantasy Reef is a great site, I too frequent there, but for me AA is still the best forum on the net. All ideas are mentioned are great and will be discussed with staff I am sure. Not promising anything as there is a new owner coming into the scene and I am sure that he will have many ideas of his own to bring to the site. The members here are what make AA the site it is and that isn't going to change. With more participation from the members the site is sure to flourish.

Zagz said:
Just to clarify, Fantasy Reef is not AA's sister site. It is an independant site. Not owned by the same people at all. Fantasy Reef is a great site, I too frequent there, but for me AA is still the best forum on the net. All ideas are mentioned are great and will be discussed with staff I am sure. Not promising anything as there is a new owner coming into the scene and I am sure that he will have many ideas of his own to bring to the site. The members here are what make AA the site it is and that isn't going to change. With more participation from the members the site is sure to flourish.

Thanks for mentioning that Anne. I was confused, but have done some talking and things have been clarified for me :)

No problem, several members frequent both sites and I think that is fantastic. Both sites have much to offer and the more we learn the more we have to gain and share.

Zagz said:
All ideas are mentioned are great and will be discussed with staff I am sure. Not promising anything as there is a new owner coming into the scene and I am sure that he will have many ideas of his own to bring to the site.

This is the only site I frequent where I actually BELIEVE that the staff works for the community, and not just for the tag under their name. I can't imagine this changing and so I have complete faith that AA will continue on to be even better. 8)

Thanks from all of us. We do love AA, all of the mods. Speaking from myself, AA got me completely addicted to both the tanks and the plant side of aquariums. I have a very soft spot for AA.

I agree with Anne, I can't stand to see fish tanks get shot/broken or damaged in movies....LOL!!!
Keep up the ideas and the input. I think it is a great way to help the site grow and flourish!

Back
Top Bottom