Spam messages from AA???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrMagoo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just received an email from AA stating that I had a PM. When I came to the site to read the message, there was none. I read that there had been a problem in the past with a trojan.

This is what the email read:

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL!
Dear MrMagoo,
You have received a new private message at Aquarium Advice - Aquarium & Reef Forum from Jeannette, entitled "Re: Mrmagoo".
To read the original version, respond to, or delete this message, you must log in here:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/private.php
This is the message that was sent:
Hi,I'm new here, how's it going?"Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: it transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural & spiritual, and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things as a meaningful unity" - Albert Einstein---
Again, please do not reply to this email. You must go to the following page to reply to this private message:
All the best,
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium & Reef Forum

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason you're seeing messages being flagged as spam now, and not in the past, is because of the recent change in ownership. With the change, also came a change of the server that's being used to relay mail messages. I noticed this a couple weeks ago and when I looked into it, it appears that even though the mail is coming from "aquariumadvice.com", it's really being relayed through the owner's "socialknowledge.net" domain and IP address. One of the things spam filters use to distinguish real mail from spam is a database that lists "problem" domains and IP addresses. From the spam filter logs I looked at on my system, it appears that the socialknowledge domain has a few "strikes" against it and is showing up in some of the spam databases. That's not saying anything negative against the domain... it just means that enough people reported them as "spam" (usually incorrectly!) that they showed up on the list. That, and a few other minor items, gives the mail a "ranking" that may have the spam filter flag it as spam.

Since this involves the owner's main domain, I'm guessing he knows about it.

Edit: Sorry... I didn't read the entire thread from the original poster. Sorry about that. My post is referring to REAL legitimate messages - not spam ones - being marked as spam by filters.

Last edited:
OK - I am sorry about this. We had someone register and sent this same message out to many members. The message was spam and contained a link to a site that wants your info to send more spam. I removed this member and all content they posted to protect our members. This is unfortunately becoming a standard problem on the internet. We are able to cut down on some kinds of spam with our registration process, but ultimately a few get through. In the last couple of weeks, since the software conversion we have been working to improve site security and you may have noticed less spam in posts. This "PM" spam is harder to stop because a real person is doing it rather than a automated spam posting "bot".

If you get spam or see spam, please alert us ASAP. If you are ever unsure about a link - don't click.

Thanks Janet...

I am am member of several forums similar to this one for scuba diving, photography, my truck, my golden retriever...

The scuba site I am a member of uses a personal email system, i.e. a system admin sends the conformation email, then personally approves the member.

I know this site has many more members, and several joining everyday, so this would be a time consuming task, but it would cut down on the hassle of having people join, send spam, get booted, and admins having the tasks of deleting all of their posts, galleries, PMs, whatever.....

just a thought...

Brian

More Spam

Think this one's spam.
:uzi:

From: Aquarium Advice - Aquarium & Reef Forum [mailto:support@aquariumadvice.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 9:30 PM
To:
Subject: New Private Message at Aquarium Advice - Aquarium & Reef Forum

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL!
Dear rbailey,
You have received a new private message at Aquarium Advice - Aquarium & Reef Forum from Jessie2, entitled "Re: Rbailey".
To read the original version, respond to, or delete this message, you must log in here:
This is the message that was sent:
Hey,What's up?---Jessiehttp://jessie.rack111.com
Again, please do not reply to this email. You must go to the following page to reply to this private message:
All the best,
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium & Reef Forum

This was a spam message, the user has been banned. You can delete the message. It happened to a few members here today and is now dealt with.

Back
Top Bottom