Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I got to thinking... I started on this forum a while back simply to look for "advice" as the name of this forum implies. After a while, my knowledge and taste evolved and along that journey I've befriended other AA members. Where others may simply migrate to other sites, I've stuck around to offer my experience when I can to those new or experienced (when they need it). I love AA so I linger.

I've also joined other forums, specially the Planted Tank where build threads (journals) are prominent. However, I find myself still gravitating to AA because of the great staff and community it offers.

With that said, is there any way for AA to consider adding in sub-forums to the Planted Tank section and saltwater, specifically for "journals and/or builds" ??? Perhaps with less editing constraints to the OP's build thread?

There's a ton of really nice builds/journals that get buried under the larger amount of simple question threads that only require 1 or a few responses to answer. A lot of these beautiful TOTM award builds are such an example. But not only those, just nice builds in general.

Admin/Mods? Thoughts please.

Can this be implemented so seasoned folks (and newbies) have more tools to keep this forum interesting and exciting... not just remedial. I think from a business standpoint (sponsors/advertisement/clicks) it would generate more traffic (if that matters).

Old 09-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Smile

I completely agree with Brian. I think this is an excellent idea and would make the forum much more organized. I always scroll through threads looking for one I want to look at but it can be really annoying when I have to scroll for days. Sub forums like lighting, substrate, algae, etc. I think by doing this, it would expand the number of users on Aquarium Advice. More hardcore reefers and planted tankers would be attracted to the forum since it would specialize in planted tanks more, and it has a much nicer atmosphere than sites like The Planted Tank where many users come off as arrogant. Just my two cents. I think this would be an excellent idea.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not a big planted tank person, but I agree with the concept. There seems to be a greater variety of people here and anything that expands it would be helpful. When I do something different I don't turn to google, I want information from somebody who has done it and can relate their experience.

I think a sub-forum on live fish foods would be great. Most people are afraid of live food, my fish have a diet of over 50% live and have for years. Planted tanks are kind of like live food, many are afraid to try. Additionally, a lot of folks never even think about some of the tropical fish that face extinction. I think some would be stunned to find out that many of these species survive in aquariums only. I'm just an average person and have a tank dedicated to a fish totally extinct in the wild. If you got more than three tanks don't you think it may be time to give something back to the hobby? I realize people are new, but if I look at one more livebearer to say if it is pregnant I think I'll screem! Add water and a pair of livebearers and the answer is yes, simple all you need!
Old 09-21-2013, 04:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I also like this idea I love the planted tank forum set up, but I have so many friends on here that I chat with ALL the time, I couldn't leave unless they left with me :P

But more sub forums would be a great idea!!

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now

Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I think a sub-forum for journals and builds is a great idea. It is a pain trying to find any of them once they slow down and get buried.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
Technically, we do have the "Members' tanks" subforum in both the FW and SW sections, which is geared for things such as journals, builds, etc. - however other forums still get cluttered. IMO one reason is that the other sections get more traffic - not nearly as many people visit the members' tanks subforum, and people want followers on their journals (which is definitely understandable).
Old 09-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I guess that makes sense there's a "freshwater member's tank showcase" area. But I think it's ambiguous as to what goes where. We have journals in the "Planted" forum that are SEVERAL pages long (mine included... ). If another sub forum can't be created, I think the "showcase" sub forum should be altered in the title to include "journals /builds" so it's more clear where to start them. Perhaps have the mods help in migrating our threads there? And move future misplaced threads there? If not reorganizing this somehow (e.g. previously mentioned new sub-forum).

Edit: It's just confusing and some really good build threads in FW planted and SW get buried to the point they're hard to find unless you go the user and search for threads they started...
Old 09-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #8
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

One thing to keep in mind, we are generally very conservative when it comes to adding subforums. We really like to keep things tight, as if you have under-utilized subforums that don't generate a lot of traffic, when people do post there, it might go unnoticed, as can happen in the "showcase" forum.

We will definitely consider this one as a staff, and do some research/homework to see what it might look like... Even if it doesn't change right away, we always appreciate suggestions to make this great community even better!
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I think that sounds great too, and adding the inverts has helped tremendously! Thanks for considering the possibility.

It is a good idea for keeping people with knowledge and experience to stick around. People do become friends here

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I agree! If anything, add a "Members planted tank showcase" or you can add to them and make it,
"Members planted tank showcase/journals"
Same for the salt section, I noticed a lot of people start build threads in the "getting started" section or "tank showcase section"

Good eye, Brian. I'm not sure how it needs to change, exactly, but I think something DOES need to change...

Billbug68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com