Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

We aren't saying its novel or special. Just that lots of people have them, so it might be helpful to have a seperate place for them. And a 5 gallon fw tank is harder to take care of than a 55 gallon.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager

Okay then, to help me better understand today's hobby, let me ask this question....
Taking nothing away from it's current popularity or resurgence and deleteing any debate on difficulty from SW vs FW, What's so special about a FW nano tank?
It's been done for so many years, was all that was available a number of years ago, and takes the same amount of effort to keep going as a larger tank. As a novelty, I'm sorry but it's not a novel idea. As a specialty aquarium, it's not really special anymore. (As I said, it was all I had when I first got started in the hobby.)
Somebody please educate me I'm always willing to learn
There are some species that don't like strong flow or need species only tanks. A lot of them are nano species. Nano tanks allow people to keep such species in a smaller space. In some cases, nano tanks are easier to keep than larger tanks. For example, a high tech planted nano tank doesn't need as much co2 or filtration as a larger system. Nano tanks are a lot less expensive, but seem to be just as fun. Nano tanks also make good tanks for children. In nano tanks it is easier to mimic a (nano) fish's natural environment. For example, in my 5g tank I have 4 gulf coast pygmy sunfish. In nature, they live in very brown (tannins) water. They also live in areas without much flow. I have driftwood in there to leach tannins, and i also have the filter on a low setting. My favorite thing about nano tanks is that they cost <$100, compared to most tanks above 10gs costing a lot more. Basically, IMO you get more bang for your buck because it is just as fun.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytertot
We aren't saying its novel or special. Just that lots of people have them, so it might be helpful to have a seperate place for them. And a 5 gallon fw tank is harder to take care of than a 55 gallon.
+ 1 its not like we hate SW... LOL.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

okay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytertot View Post

Okay but, if set up correctly, a 5 gal FW tank shouldn't be harder to maintain than a 55 FW tank. I guess that's what I'm having problems with.
The only real difference I had between my little tanks and my biggest tank was the amount of water I had to change each week. You either scaled up or scaled down the equipment but you used the same materials/ items.
I need more info Why do you find the 5 gal more difficult?
Old 03-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager

Okay but, if set up correctly, a 5 gal FW tank shouldn't be harder to maintain than a 55 FW tank. I guess that's what I'm having problems with.
The only real difference I had between my little tanks and my biggest tank was the amount of water I had to change each week. You either scaled up or scaled down the equipment but you used the same materials/ items.
I need more info Why do you find the 5 gal more difficult?
Well, I am not sure. If it is cycled and set up correctly, and is not overstocked, it should actually be easier. Here's a bunch of reasons:
-less water to change
-less glass to clean
-less filter media to clean
-less gravel to vacuum
-less food to feed
Old 03-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Why does it have to be a "novel idea" to be a forum topic??? The other forum headings aren't novel, but they are relevant most definitely.

+1 for a freshwater nano section. I would love it.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

But, everything builds up faster. To be honest, the point of this thread was to make a suggestion and that has been done. I don't mean this in a rude way but I'm finishes talking about it all lol.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

That is strange... I think it may be just as easy after all. People say that water quality is an issue for small tanks. Well if it is cycled and not overstocked, it should be fine. As long as people don't overstock their nano tanks, I don't think they are harder to keep. Everything is to scale. LOL. People say that it takes less ammonia to kill fish in a 1g. Well duh! Haha. But say you had one shrimp in a 1g. If you had 10 shrimp in a 10g. Sure it would take more ammonia to kill the shrimp in a 10g, but it is still the same amount in proportion... Say it was 1 ppm. If you dosed 1 ppm in a 1g, it would be extremely difficult. If you dosed it in a 10g, it would take 10x the amount for the one gallon.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill
Why does it have to be a "novel idea" to be a forum topic??? The other forum headings aren't novel, but they are relevant most definitely.

+1 for a freshwater nano section. I would love it.
Yes, I agree. People could get better ideas and opinions.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay then.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellag View Post
There are some species that don't like strong flow or need species only tanks. A lot of them are nano species. Nano tanks allow people to keep such species in a smaller space. In some cases, nano tanks are easier to keep than larger tanks. For example, a high tech planted nano tank doesn't need as much co2 or filtration as a larger system. Nano tanks are a lot less expensive, but seem to be just as fun. Nano tanks also make good tanks for children. In nano tanks it is easier to mimic a (nano) fish's natural environment. For example, in my 5g tank I have 4 gulf coast pygmy sunfish. In nature, they live in very brown (tannins) water. They also live in areas without much flow. I have driftwood in there to leach tannins, and i also have the filter on a low setting. My favorite thing about nano tanks is that they cost <$100, compared to most tanks above 10gs costing a lot more. Basically, IMO you get more bang for your buck because it is just as fun.
Okay then, let me ask this:
You say you have 4 pigmy sunfish in a 5 gal tank. Is this tank big enough for them to reach maturity? If it isn't, you are not really doing right by your fish keeping them in a smaller aquarium. This goes back to another thread I participated in with the question being "can you vs should you?"
What you're proposing sounds more like a species specific discussion more than a tank size discussion.
I understand costs and the like but what I'm saying is that if you were to pick up a good book on maintaining a FW tank, the information would apply to any sized aquarium. The word "NANO" does not change anything. If you pick up a book on maintaining a SW aquarium, there is different info for a "NANO" tank due to it's size and limitations.

I'm not trying to be difficult here, it just sounds like this should be a species specific thread more than a tank size thread. Obviously, this is just my opinion

Tags
nano, nano tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com