Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Suggestion: FW nano tanks sub-forum

I'm not sure where to put this, so I thought I would put it here. I think it would be a good idea to have a nano tank sub-forum in Freshwater. I know there is a nano reef one for SW.... It could be for all nano tanks, like 10 gallons and under. Betta and shrimp tanks would also count. What do you guys think?

Old 03-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

In my day....

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellag View Post
I'm not sure where to put this, so I thought I would put it here. I think it would be a good idea to have a nano tank sub-forum in Freshwater. I know there is a nano reef one for SW.... It could be for all nano tanks, like 10 gallons and under. Betta and shrimp tanks would also count. What do you guys think?
In my day most all FW tanks were small tanks so the "NANO" FW tank isn't really a novel idea. The SW Nano tank actually is more of an acheivement as the theory was always "The smaller the tank, the harder to maintain." The cultivation and availability of smaller corals and fish and equipment makes the SW Nano tank more of an accomplishment.
Don't get me wrong, I like smaller tanks and I love raising small and tiny fish up to maturity. In fact, I am still using the stand I had for my 7 1/2 gallon Metaframe tank from when I was a kid( the one with metal sides and slate bottom. I don't get rid of ANY of my old equipment ) which I've adapted for my 10 gal tank.
Obviously this is just my opinion, but I don't think it really needs a thread. Sorry

Old 03-23-2012, 01:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
In my day most all FW tanks were small tanks so the "NANO" FW tank isn't really a novel idea. The SW Nano tank actually is more of an acheivement as the theory was always "The smaller the tank, the harder to maintain." The cultivation and availability of smaller corals and fish and equipment makes the SW Nano tank more of an accomplishment.
Don't get me wrong, I like smaller tanks and I love raising small and tiny fish up to maturity. In fact, I am still using the stand I had for my 7 1/2 gallon Metaframe tank from when I was a kid( the one with metal sides and slate bottom. I don't get rid of ANY of my old equipment ) which I've adapted for my 10 gal tank.
Obviously this is just my opinion, but I don't think it really needs a thread. Sorry
+1
I know a hobbyist who thinks more about his SW 15g tank than his SW 125g tank.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:45 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Truth be told...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance View Post
+1
Truth be told, I had a 1 gal SW tank and it was a lot more work than my 55 was. I was always checking to make sure everything was balanced because I was doing a natural filtration (the original live rock) tank. Just an airstone. This was over 25 years ago. In a larger tank, it takes longer for the tank to go bad than in a smaller tank. It's the same in FW but not nearly to the same degree as SW.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:01 AM   #5
come get me tang police!

I don't think there's a debate between which one is more difficult than the other, but just because SW is more difficult than FW does that render FW invalid? I think max has noticed that the FW nano scene has been gaining popularity in the last few years. There's the new-ish species coming from myanmar, the different FW shrimp species, along with the classic favorites like dwarf puffers and badis. Whether that justifies a new section, who knows, but that's my personal view as a hobbyist.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
I don't think there's a debate between which one is more difficult than the other, but just because SW is more difficult than FW does that render FW invalid? I think max has noticed that the FW nano scene has been gaining popularity in the last few years. There's the new-ish species coming from myanmar, the different FW shrimp species, along with the classic favorites like dwarf puffers and badis. Whether that justifies a new section, who knows, but that's my personal view as a hobbyist.
Yes, exactly my reasoning.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager

Truth be told, I had a 1 gal SW tank and it was a lot more work than my 55 was. I was always checking to make sure everything was balanced because I was doing a natural filtration (the original live rock) tank. Just an airstone. This was over 25 years ago. In a larger tank, it takes longer for the tank to go bad than in a smaller tank. It's the same in FW but not nearly to the same degree as SW.
I was never debating whether or not SW nano tanks are better than FW nano tanks... I just think the new subforum would help organize the site better and allow deeper discussions on smaller FW species.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

The point, guys, is not about how hard either one is. The point is that it would be nice to have a thread for fw nano tanks
Old 03-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytertot
The point, guys, is not about how hard either one is. The point is that it would be nice to have a thread for fw nano tanks
Yes. It would help the forum stay organized and allow more discussion over the topic.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay then.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellag View Post
I was never debating whether or not SW nano tanks are better than FW nano tanks... I just think the new subforum would help organize the site better and allow deeper discussions on smaller FW species.

Okay then, to help me better understand today's hobby, let me ask this question....
Taking nothing away from it's current popularity or resurgence and deleteing any debate on difficulty from SW vs FW, What's so special about a FW nano tank?
It's been done for so many years, was all that was available a number of years ago, and takes the same amount of effort to keep going as a larger tank. As a novelty, I'm sorry but it's not a novel idea. As a specialty aquarium, it's not really special anymore. (As I said, it was all I had when I first got started in the hobby.)
Somebody please educate me I'm always willing to learn

Tags
nano, nano tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com