Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2006, 04:41 PM   #1

Suggestion to the administration for a new sticky.

Well after looking at a lot of threads here on AA it seems that we are gaining a lot of new members from foreign coutries. Well the idea is making a sticky so that the members can have a quick referance for the metric system and vice versa. You know liters to gallons, meters to feet, kilos to pounds, mililiters to ounces I think. This way it doesn't matter what part of the world your at we can all get a general idea of what the other one has for specs. Offcoarse some people don't need these references but I am sure a lot of members would find it handy. I'm sure something that would automatically convert number posting based on server location would be very cost prohibitive, but just a quick refeance sticky would be cool. Thanks guys.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:31 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
We used to have a half dozen or so calculators and one of them was a conversion of metric to US measurements. It didnt go as far as convert ounces, and such but a recent server side upgrade broke the calcs.

If you or any other member knows PHP well and is willing to try to rewrite the calcs I can send you the source.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Could even have a sticky going to http://www.onlineconversions.com . That's where I do all my conversions, and they have it all.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:27 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
To be fully honest we have found over the years that stickies and announcements in the forums do very little. A topic that is stickied will still get plenty of posts asking the very question the sticky answers. In addition with the conversions there are so many places/forums where one would want a quick reference to a conversion tool that we would need to do something like a global announcement for it and we want to keep those to a minimum if possible. The calculators when they worked where linked in the header so it was seen from all forums.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:12 AM   #5

I did actually find the calcs but it wasn't untill I made an errant trip into the photo gallery for something. Oh, well if I would of known that I probably wouldn't of started this thred, but rather another one asking why the calcs dont work. LOL As the first post says I would love to help with the PHP but you where the one that had to drag me out of the darkages switching over to FireFox so I doubt I would be of any help there. LOL

Thanks LWB for the link, I think I am going to have to put that in a tab for a quick referance.

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com