Timestamp of postings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serge

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering if the web server of AA keeps track of each user's specific time locale? It shows 2 hours behind for my latest post. I'm on EDT/EST.

Just wondering.

8)

You need to figure out your offset and the factor in DST. For example, I'm on EST, so mine is GMT-5, but we are in DST, which this software does not compensate for, so this time of year it is GMT-4.

Although it seems to be an extra hour off...I'm guessing it's compiling the servers not adjusting for DST with us not adjusting.

For proper time due to DST you need to set your profile to -4GMT. When we are in standard time set it to -5GMT. The system is set to h ave its default time at -5GMT so this is what is displayed when your not logged in.

I've been noticing for a few weeks now that my posting times, and everyone's, when you go back to the "view all posts" page, seem to be an hour off (an hour behind the actual time). I used to get logged off at midnight, and now it's 1 am.

The issue turned out to be an out of sync hardware clock on the server. It just so happened that it was about 1 hour off. It most likly had been slowly drifting over the last year. Its now back in sync so proper GMT time zone settings taking into account DST will reflect proper time stamps on posts.

OK, maybe I am missing something here. :wink: I just made a posting, and my setting is set for GMT -5 but now it is only 1 hour behind. :) I'll double check my account setup, just to verify. Thanks guys!

8)

Like we said above this site does not take into account DST there for during the summer you must back your time zone by 1 hour if your in a local that observes DST there for your time zone must be -4 GMT during DST and -5 GMT during EST.

OK! I just changed to GMT -4, so this post will confrm the changes so that I am in synch with everyone else. :mrgreen:

8)

Back
Top Bottom