Topics that should be stickies...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I don't know about you guys, but instead of some of the less than useful stickies we currently have (i.e. "Share your fish catching/trapping skills!" or the pointless "Fish Tanks and Human Disease: FYI") I would like to see some of these threads as stickies. As it is, I have to read about two new threads on these topics a week, and hear the same regurgitated answers over and over...

1) Which algea eater should I get?

2) Green water cure?

3) How do I put driftwood in my aquarium?

How about it mods?

I've literally been here for minutes, but this is a huge problem on most aquarium forums. Without these at easy reference, there is often an endless flow of questions that have been answered a hundred times before.

I second this request.

Malkore has done an exelent job with new stickys in the planted tanks area.. maybe some new ones on some of the hotter topics in genteral and or getting started would be nice..
a sticky about fish to avoid like channel cats, pacu, bala sharks.. BIG FISH to Avoid for the aquarium.. would be very nice.. I nominate Tortis for making the big fish list! Toirtis rocks!

The advisors have opted not to have a ton of stickies cluttering the tops of each forum, since the Qs will be asked again and again. There are excellent articles in our articles section, point :n00b:s to them if you do not want to explain cycling. Here's an idea: write an article for AA for all to enjoy.

I moved some of those topics to "Monster Island."
1) Which algea eater should I get?

2) Green water cure?

3) How do I put driftwood in my aquarium?
Articles can be submitted to any advisor and will be reviewed by all advisors and site admins.

I agree that there shouldn't be a ton of stickies, but surely some of these topics are more relevant and useful than the fluff that is currently stuck.

maybe make the articles more obvious for newbs to find? I know I forget about them (or when I was new, never saw them) until someone mentions them.

rubysoho said:
maybe make the articles more obvious for newbs to find? I know I forget about them (or when I was new, never saw them) until someone mentions them.

Don't count on it, this thread was quickly moved to the least trafficicked area of the site.

hmm.. I wouldn't say that. I mean, the amount of views is still going up. Also, a lot of people sort through their posts by looking at the "posts since last visited." I think to mods do a great job on this site so maybe don't be so harsh with them.

btw, menagerie, you're new avatar is adorable. :D

btw, menagerie, you're new avatar is adorable.
Thank you.

Don't count on it, this thread was quickly moved to the least trafficicked area of the site.
How about a round of applause or a simple "thank you" for unsticking the stickies?

I speak for all the advisors when I say that we work very hard to make this the best fish site on the web. If you don't like the way we do things, please go else where.

Tony - first of all as Menagerie has stated, this post was moved to the correct forum. A post should not be placed in the most traffic area because 1. it doesn't ensure they will read it and 2. that's what we have categories for.

secondly, as far as the stickies goes. We would rather have people ask us questions and tell us their specific situation than posting a general sticky. There are so many different circumstances with newbies and their tanks, that it can't be summarized into a sticky.

now, the "fluff". This fluff you speak of is the personality of the site. This site would not be as successful as it is without the fluff. We would just be one of those other forums that spits out facts and statistics about fish and tanks and is otherwise boring.

If you want things a specific way only, then I suggest you take the time and spend the money and create your own site.

lmw80 said:
now, the "fluff". This fluff you speak of is the personality of the site. This site would not be as successful as it is without the fluff. We would just be one of those other forums that spits out facts and statistics about fish and tanks and is otherwise boring.
Well, this "Fluff" is gonna agree. This sight runs so smoothly due to the hard work of the admin and the dedication of the advisors. And, the format seems to work for 99.5% of the people. Just can't make everyone happy I guess. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom