Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2006, 02:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Upload quotas?

Upload quotas? I have not run into this before. I will admit I have been uploading a lot of pictures lately to chronicle my tank setup and ID various things, but a 2 MB limit is...well...pretty limiting!

I'm curious if this is new? Are you having trouble with bandwith issues? Getting too expensive? Is there any way to get out of this limit? I'd be willing to consider making a donation...

Paul

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:36 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Bandwidth is nothing but consitering the compressed backup of this site takes up over 3 gigs disk space is another story. While we are on our own dedicated server we still must use disk space judicuiously. The two meg file attachment limit has been in place since the creation of AA. A single donation ups that quota to 10mb. Do not forget you also have a gallery upload quota of 2mb aswell so that gives you up to 4mb of free storage on the server. With over 10,000 users if everyone used their limits thats 40,000mb or 40GB just for images. While the odds of that happening are very low one must still make some provisions to accomodate as many users as possible. In compairson bandwidth is cheap vs diskspace as the server has a fixed amount of disk space and when thtas close to being used up to get more space one must move to a new server.

Members have the ability to remove old photos that they have uploaded by going to their profile page and then clicking the attachment control panel link. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/profil...profile&u=5483

Given the size of your images I can see how you would run out of space quickly as many of them are well over 150kb each. If you was able to reduce the overall file size of the images you would be able to upload more images within the quota. Instead of 8 images of 250kb in size you could have 20 images of 100kb in size.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 12:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another good alternative would be to use www.photolocker.net

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hmmm...I guess this is one of the downsides of having a high megapixel rating on my camera! All of those photos were uploaded at 20% of original size!

Thanks for your answer! If I was interested in making a donation, how would I do so? And are there set amounts that you ask?

Paul

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:27 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here is the donation link:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/donate.php

greenfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com