Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-18-2006, 08:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Watching Topics

When I respond to a post, I always receive an e-mail when a reply has been given. But when I make a post, I do not receive an e-mail notification that replies have been given. I just noticed this morning that I am not getting responses. Is there a setting I have to adjust?

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 08:57 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Make sure this is checked in your profile.

Quote:
Always Notify Me of Replies:
Sends an e-mail when someone replies to a topic you have posted in. This can be changed whenever you post.
In additon when you view a topic it should say either "Watch this topic for replies" or "Stop watching this topic for replies" Which does a new topic you start say?

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

After I post a new topic if I look down on the left after the message it says "Watch this topic for replies." I just noticed it this morning that I have to click on that link everytime I post a new topic. My profile is selected to "Always Notify Me of Replies." When I write the message, the box is checked to "Notify me when a reply is posted."

55 Gallon Community
Old 02-18-2006, 05:21 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
This is a bug that we had in the testing site as I was working on the rewrite. I though it was corrected when another buggy mod was removed but it appears to have not been fixed.

I belive I know why this is happening but I dont quite know how to correct it at this point.

Unlike the message notifications on the old version the notifications on the new version work a little differently 'out of the box'. Out of the box they are set to send you a message every time someoen replys to a post your watching as well as every time a new topic and reply is created if your watching a specific forum. This is differently to how we woudl like it to work. We would like it to work where you get the first reply to a message your watching and you can elect to get new messges to forums you watch.

The default method would cause a massave amount of mail to leave the system and not even I want to get a new email every time a post is made on the site in a specific forum be it new or a reply.

We tweaked the code somewhat to keep it from sending replys to people whom are watching forums but it might have also caused the first reply to a new post to not get flagged properly.

This has been put on the long range list of things to correct as its going to take some digging into the code.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 05:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the response Fishfreek. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a setting that I had wrong.

55 Gallon Community

Tags
chi

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com