What a wonderful site this is!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatatonicBug

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I began my search online for answers to my questions about 2 weeks ago by googling "Aquarium Advice". Needless to say, this site was at the top of the hits. I'm a computer nerd, so I often seek answers to problems online in forums and chatrooms. However, I have to say that this site has me addicted! Hook, line and sinker (pun intended ;)!

The people here are so abundantly helpful and extremely available, which is much more than I can say for most computer forums... Answers seem to come out of thin air, almost faster than the questions can be asked! The members are genuinely interested in seeing others succeed, are very encouraging, and I have yet to read a single derogatory statement from anyone. Of all the places I could have landed on the internet for help with my fish, I am so glad I found this site. I can't imagine needing to go anywhere else for help with anything aquaria.

Thanks to everyone, from the bottom of my fishtank!!

Welcome to the site! I agree with you. Once I found this site (my first forum) I found a bunch of other ones and was really disappointed. It seemed quite a few of them were rude and unreceptive to "noobs" (which is a word that should be banned on all sites, IMHO)....everyone is new at something and should not be picked at....

Ok,

Off the sopabox.

What kind of tanks do you keep?

I had the same experience, almost identically. I googled aquarium advice and found AA! Now I am addicted with 14 fish tanks and can't stand a day without being here. I was a totally newbie, betta in a bowl, to a 5 gal. Now a few years later I have become corrupted with MTS (multiple tank syndrome).

So glad that you joined us and very happy that you find us as addicting as many of our members do. And yes info on your tanks and pictures would be great.

I am purely FW. I have a tropical 47g at home (a pic of it is my avatar) and a 2.5g at work with 4 fancy guppies. The office just loves that one. It sits atop my cube, and people walking to the copier always stop to see the fish.

I just (last night) began my first foray into fishless cycling for the beginnings of a (hopefully) very planted 10g tank. It has water, a Magnum filter, and gravel. I still need to buy a heater and an air pump for it though. I am learning patience, and reading the many posts of people who have rushed things reminds me to take it slow, and that I can't grow bacteria (or anything) overnight.

A hint for you, you can take some of the media from your other tanks and put in the filter of your new tank to seed the filter and speed up the cycle. I'm a freshie as well.

FW is cool, but we'll get you to the "saltie" side in no time! You may want to PM neilanh since he WAS going to do a reef tank (I sold him the 125...since he promised it would be a reef tank....it's ok, Ziggie and I spoke to his wife and I think a "saltie" will be born) but he has an awesome set up for a planted tank. He should be able to get you started, of course, al the other experienced folks around here can as well....just had to nudge him a little bit. We have our eyes on fisheggs too..... You will be assimilated!

A hint for you, you can take some of the media from your other tanks and put in the filter of your new tank to seed the filter and speed up the cycle. I'm a freshie as well.
I thought about that, the problem is, my main tank is still cycling itself. I got a new canister filter, and sterilized my old one before I had ever heard about bio filtration. Now I'm fighting with ammonia and nitrate levels that won't go down. I just had a white haze over this last weekend that seems to have subsided, so I'm hoping that meant the bacteria are growing well. I must say that the new FX5 canister filter makes draining the water for PWCs super easy. An 18g rubbermade tote on the floor fills up in seconds, and I just carry the whole thing to the bathtub and dump it! My wife is a bit upset that I am suddenly spending so much time and money on this tank that seems to have been working fine for 2 years, but I'm actually having fun with it!

I have a FX5 as well. Are you sure we aren't related? :) Ignore the salties, FW planted is excellent. Have you any friends with established tanks you could borrow media from? The white haze is a natural bacterial bloom, do you have a test kit?

I do have a test kit, but didn't until I read the posts on this site telling me I needed one. That's how I know I have ammonia in my water. I even have 2ppm in my TAP water!
No, I don't have any friends... I'm a computer nerd, remember? ;) I even met my wife online!

I'm curious, is that african grey in your avatar yours? I also have a Blue & Gold macaw.

Yes that is my 28 year old grey. I've had him 2 years. Do you have a pic of your macaw? How old and how long have you had him/her?

Yep, here is a pic of me and my bird, Figaro. My parents got him as a hatchling about 25 years ago. My mom had him till she moved to England in 2005, and I got to adopt him.

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 49
Catatonic, do a search on Pepper, you will find some funny pics that Zagz has posted.
Yeah, some what of a Trekkie! My dad took me to the 1st Star Trek convention!

I think most of us have similar stories to tell. I wanted to start a SW tank and found some information on about.com and one of the links in an article I was reading sent me here. I've been an active member ever since! I stick to this forum because the people here are understanding and willing to help. I'm glad you found us! Welcome to the AA family.

Back
Top Bottom