Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Forum Admin & Announcements
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-30-2010, 12:34 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

What's the difference between mentor and a mod?

~20 Gallon Community, ~5 Gallon Betta
mandy2936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:46 PM   #12
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

AND... mentors don't have to go through the Mod initiation. I hear that it's brutal! :P

Old 12-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, thanks for the info guys!
Just wondering.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:51 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkpate View Post
And then when they get chosen to be a mod, they stop posting/helping! (Except for BigJim, that is)
Even though we are mods... we still have lives! I've been gone for a while since I'm working 7 days a week and getting ready to go to Cape Town but I usually try to check in every other day.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mods/mentors, I look at them all the same. You guys might be helping in the saltwater section, but I don't see alot of you in the freshwater.
I have noticed that most mods/mentors just stop helping out as much when they get moved to that position.
I have a busy life too, but I still get on here every day. I don't want someone with a sick fish to get on here, post a question, and then not get help for 2-3 days, since it's usually a little late by then.
I am expressing my opinion, no need to get feathers all ruffled, it's just something I have noticed.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:50 PM   #16
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nothing ruffled here, but I'll state my .02.

I post less now than before, but read more. I try to hold myself to posting only if I can provide new information or bolster good information by posting real experiences in a thread. I will quickly bow out of a thread that seems to be destined to fail due to either an OP's unwillingness to accept information or repeated bad advice being giving by new members. I'm about the worst at choosing my words and tend to come off a bit abrasive so I delete almost as many posts as I leave. lol

Besides the mentors and mods are here to help, but the vast majority of knowledge and experience is mathematically on the side of the members. We have a lot of wonderful members with a lot of good advice to share like yourself and honestly if I see good advice from a member, I'll usually give it a "+1" if it's early in the thread or just move on if it's an older thread. The members make the site, no way around that.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:10 PM   #17
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
The members make the site, no way around that.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:40 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
I post less now than before, but read more.

The members make the site, no way around that.
I couldn't agree more. There is a lot more going on in the 'back-end' of the site than you might think. I read tons of posts but usually by the time I check (late at night) they have all been answered.

The biggest thing I care about is posts with 0 replies. Even if I don't know the answer I will google it and read up on it until I can at least point them in the right direction.

I use the quick link (Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Search Results) to find all the posts that were made today and then go through one by one and make sure they all get answered.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:52 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

I believe that's most of the mentors and mods do. If a post was answered by another member there's no reason to post again as a mentor or mod. If the question is goling in the wrong direction or has incorrect information I'll usually chime in.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:20 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh View Post
I couldn't agree more. There is a lot more going on in the 'back-end' of the site than you might think. I read tons of posts but usually by the time I check (late at night) they have all been answered.

The biggest thing I care about is posts with 0 replies. Even if I don't know the answer I will google it and read up on it until I can at least point them in the right direction.

I use the quick link (Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Search Results) to find all the posts that were made today and then go through one by one and make sure they all get answered.
Wow, that's nice of you to do
Lol I was just reading your post and thought that was kind so I wanted to let ya know, haha.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com