why is it so hard to get help? please anybody

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marsh

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been a member for 2 years, yet I still don't understand why I cannot get any responses to (non-social blah-blah-blah type threads) for actual aquarium advice.

I would do anything to be an active member of this community but don't know why my threads, WHICH I TRY TO PLACE IN THE CORRECT SUB-FORUMS, are not answered by anyone with any useful advice!

My questions are earnest, my love for fish keeping is deep. Where else can I turn?
-Lila

(most recent post is in FW: getting started)
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...used::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I have been a member for 2 years, yet I still don't understand why I cannot get any responses to (non-social blah-blah-blah type threads) for actual aquarium advice.

I would do anything to be an active member of this community but don't know why my threads, WHICH I TRY TO PLACE IN THE CORRECT SUB-FORUMS, are not answered by anyone with any useful advice!

My questions are earnest, my love for fish keeping is deep. Where else can I turn?
-Lila

(most recent post is in FW: getting started)
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...used::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I'm thinking that you may not be placing your posts correctly. ( I just clicked on the link in your post and got a "page not found" response. )
I am on this site 2 to 4 times per day answering questions as best I can so I don;t know why I wouldn't have answered yours? I am closing in on 50 years of fish keeping (including 40 years in the pet/fish business) so I have a great deal of information from first hand experience.

How can I help you? (y)

I appreciate it guys, I think I was having a panic attack earlier, I really love this site.

I have all these new fish from a close-out sale at my lfs and I over-commited a bit with 4 large loaches, livebearer fry and a lack of filtration for these new additions. I also tested my well water today and found sky-high nitrate levels out of the tap (80 ppm!!)

I want to ask if I can safely use reverse osmosis water from the supermarket? I used to get 10 gallons at a time when I had reef tanks but heard it was not ideal for tropical fish. Any advice?

edit: sorry re:link, if you click on my username you can see my recent threads I have started~ sorry I am not sure how to avoid the "page not found" problem ;)

Your Questions

Hello marsh...

Keep sending the questions. Maybe your posts are too long, with too much detail. I know I don't spend a lot of time reading a long post. If it's short and to the point. I'll tell you what I know.

B

long posts that don't have spaces periods and comas and formed into paragraphs
a lot will ignore as its blinding to read ,

if you space like this you may get a few more responses ,

no one is trying to ignore you we expect everyone to get the same respect , everyone should be treated fairly and deserves proper answers,

some times us salts will enter the freshwater sections and will answer questions but fresh isn't my specialty but we will try to answer as best we can ,

sometimes you may see someone who knows a lot about what your asking but never get a response , don't be afraid to just pm that person sometimes they are just over whelmed with something else , just don't go overboard just say : hi I know you have a little knowledge with such and such can you please help me with my question .

sometimes it just takes that little nudge to get the help you need

Advice

Marsh,

Feel free to P.M. me and if I can help I will and if not I'll let you know. Sorry to hear that you have received little help. I try to help those I can and ask for help when I need it.

Let me know what kind of fish you're working with. Oh yes, I don't do salt sorry.:banghead:

I've been wondering the same been trying to get help quickly about albino baby cory fry dying after a month and no one answers

Maybe it's the writing thing but I always think it's better to give people as much info about the problem as possible so they can give the best advice

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've been wondering the same been trying to get help quickly about albino baby cory fry dying after a month and no one answers

Maybe it's the writing thing but I always think it's better to give people as much info about the problem as possible so they can give the best advice

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree, Ive posted 3 threads asking for advice and only one person posted a response. I wish the community was more active. Does anyone know of another aquarium forum with a more active community?

Idk I have had a couple thread I made on here just die lol, a lot of good ones tho too

It seems like if your new people don't want to help as much compared to the people that have been here a long time,

At the minute I've got someone convinced that my problem is ammonia, and that there's to many fry In 1 tank, he's like it's overstocked i actually coulda laughed,

but they won't listen when I have said twice now that there's 1 fish left and there was 4 to begin with and ammonia has been tested and is fine,

I wanted a reply but not the same answer from the same person 2 times already,

The other problem with this site is a lot of the time if your doing something wrong people just jump down your throat instead of explaining what's wrong and why

Rob if you find another forum site that can be used on iPhone please let us no

Sent from my fish phone

People should utilize the search function provided in this forumn, or simple google stuff. Although it may seem new and relevant it's probably been covered 103 times already. Alot can be learned by taking the time to read through an old thread..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've tried the search on both,me personally I always search for an answer myself first u don't like annoying people to get an answer, like my problem I've not found an answer on any only about really young fry not fry over a month old,asking for peoples help has always been a last resort for me,

But some of the things I've seen people ask could be easily found with a search on google, maybe they just want to see if people do things differently to how google says.

Sent from my fish phone

People should utilize the search function provided in this forumn, or simple google stuff. Although it may seem new and relevant it's probably been covered 103 times already. Alot can be learned by taking the time to read through an old thread..

75% of the new threads stated here are of things that regulars have seen MILLIONS of times. The typical "Is my fish pregnant" Or "What are the white dots on my fish" or "cloudy aquarium water HELP!" :ermm: will not get as many responses as threads with unique and interesting topics. The problem isn't that the community isn't active because believe me thousands of people log on every day its just that sometimes people get bored of answering the same questions over and over that could easily be resolved by a quick google search. I try not to post a thread asking a question until after I have searched other forums, ours and the web for the answers. Google is your best friend. :)

60% of the time google finds an old thread on here that is exactly what you're looking for.. for instance.. sexing a gbr? Google it, you'll find its actually quite easy..

75% of the new threads stated here are of things that regulars have seen MILLIONS of times. The typical "Is my fish pregnant" Or "What are the white dots on my fish" or "cloudy aquarium water HELP!" :ermm: will not get as many responses as threads with unique and interesting topics. The problem isn't that the community isn't active because believe me thousands of people log on every day its just that sometimes people get bored of answering the same questions over and over that could easily be resolved by a quick google search. I try not to post a thread asking a question until after I have searched other forums, ours and the web for the answers. Google is your best friend. :)

+1000 to this

I agree but when you post a question that isn't on google or here that's when I post believe me it's a last resort, and you need help quickly and no one replys or the same person says the same thing 5 times then it's a bit of a joke,

I posted about cory fry dying AFTER a month I searched on here it and google, could find out about baby fry upto 2 weeks but nothing about over a month, and got 1 person saying ammonia over and over again when I no it's not and told them that te first time they said it, then it's valid for me to post, If I had found the answer elsewhere I wouldn't have even bothered posting,

It's a bit ridiculous, and I've seen it about 5000 times when people ask the same question like is my guppy pregnant then, yes they should have googled or searched before asking

I think a lot if people don't no about the search part on here maybe that's where the problem is

Sent from my fish phone

What I've always done when new to a forum is pm the people I've seen who I feel are most knowledgable and ask them to take a look at the thread in question. Most people are happy to help if they can but not everyone can read every post. Just my $.02 though

What I've always done when new to a forum is pm the people I've seen who I feel are most knowledgable and ask them to take a look at the thread in question. Most people are happy to help if they can but not everyone can read every post. Just my $.02 though

Very good point!

Back
Top Bottom