Why Is Loading Pictures So Painful?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HUKIT

Aquarium Advice Addict
Every time I attempt to load new pictures into a album it's ridiculously frustrating. I getting constant errors such as security certificates missing and no internet connection. Why? This is the only site that continual produces those types of error messages. It doesn't matter where or from what computer Indy the results are the same, plus it's the same Nikon D7000 I've been using for years. I certainly can't be the only person who has these issues. Why not take some of that money the supporting members are paying and put it to good use. I'd rather have a functioning website with ads than this semi-broken one without.

The issues re: the security certificates may be a result of your browser needing to update it's root CA. Check with your browser vendor on how to do that.

WRT "no internet connection"...again, that's a browser/ISP connectivity issue, not something related to this site. A web server won't return a status code of "no internet connection" (the closest is maybe a 404 not found). It's your browser, OS, or your connection to your ISP that is having problems.

I connect regularly from a heavily firewalled and isolated corporate network with no issue, as well as over 3G and 4G cellular connections, in addition to my WiFi connection at home (via a 75Mbps Verizon FiOS connection) on my tablet, laptop, and cell phone, all with no issues.

The issues re: the security certificates may be a result of your browser needing to update it's root CA. Check with your browser vendor on how to do that.

WRT "no internet connection"...again, that's a browser/ISP connectivity issue, not something related to this site. A web server won't return a status code of "no internet connection" (the closest is maybe a 404 not found). It's your browser, OS, or your connection to your ISP that is having problems.

I connect regularly from a heavily firewalled and isolated corporate network with no issue, as well as over 3G and 4G cellular connections, in addition to my WiFi connection at home (via a 75Mbps Verizon FiOS connection) on my tablet, laptop, and cell phone, all with no issues.

As I mentioned this is from multiple computers from different locations, running different operating systems. Home is Windows and work is Apple's OS X so I don't agree it's a browser issue.

Are you uploading pictures as attachments to your posts, or into your albums here on AA?

I checked both methods. Neither appears to be done via a secure connection...unless you access this site via https://aquariumadvice.com. In that case, the certificate is signed by socialknowledge.com , AA's parent. You should be able to instruct your browser to store the certificate and permit the exception (the exception being that the certificate is signed by another site).

If you access via https://www.aquariumadvice.com, the certificate error doesn't appear to occur. (note the added 'www' prior to the domain name). I have verified this behavior in both IE and Fx.

Are you resizing your images before uploading? If the site needs to do it for you then you can get timeouts and such.

Maximum File Size per Picture 100.00 MB
Maximum Picture Dimensions 1,200 by 1,200 Pixels
Pictures will be automatically resized to fit within these constraints if possible. However, you may receive better results by doing it manually.

Are you resizing your images before uploading? If the site needs to do it for you then you can get timeouts and such.

No sir I'm not resizing them. I will certainly try that as I upload pictures frequently to my albums. Thanks for the response.

Back
Top Bottom