40 Gallon Planted Aquarium Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purrbox

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm planning to finally take the plunge and start putting together my dream aquarium.

Current Plans Include:
40 Gallon Breeder
Marineland Sedona 48"x18" Stand (6" extra on either side)
Glass Canopy
Current T5HO 78 watt light fixture
Marineland Stealth Heater 100 watt (x2)
Powerhead (for water movement and CO2 diffusion)
Aquaclear 200 Filter (sponge and bio-media only)
2 Bags Tahitian Moon Sand
Pressurized CO2 Injection
Dry Fertilization

Plants Will Include:
Several Java Fern varieties
Several Crypt varieties
Several Anubias varieties

Possible Inhabitants Include:
Cherry Red Shrimp
Micro Rasboras
Gertrude's Rainbowfish
Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish
Pygmy Cories

So far I have priced out the equipment that I will need to purchase, and hope to have enough saved up within the next few months. As you can probably tell by my plans, I am aiming for a Medium Light Low Maintenance setup with easy to care for plants and lots of small fish.

Last edited:
why Tahitian Moon Sand?

Because it's black and aquarium safe. I'd use pool sand except that I want black and can't get that color in my area. I've currently got it in all of my existing aquariums and really like the way it looks.

Can't wait to see it....it's been a while since I've seen any of your tanks! And from what I remember this is going to be a lot bigger than any of your previous tanks.

Im looking forward to pictures :) I have tahitian black moon sand in my 10g with my multis in it, it looks great. Cant wait to see what you do with yours ;)

Because it's black and aquarium safe. I'd use pool sand except that I want black and can't get that color in my area. I've currently got it in all of my existing aquariums and really like the way it looks.
have you thought about the flourite sand? its around the same price and its at least semi helpful for the plants. if not colorquartz is black and i think its the T grade thats about the size of sand and at least 1/2 the price or more.

Can't wait for photos, i use tahitian moon sand in all my tank too. Love the look it gives the tank. :)

have you thought about the flourite sand? its around the same price and its at least semi helpful for the plants. if not colorquartz is black and i think its the T grade that's about the size of sand and at least 1/2 the price or more.

Unfortunately none of the stores in my area carry Flourite in Black. I've found that I really don't need an extra boost through the substrate, since most of my plants are tied to driftwood and the few that are planted can easily be supplemented with root tabs.

I have the same problem with the 3M Colorquartz. The nearest retailers are in Minnesota and Illinois. With the cost of shipping, I doubt I'd be saving much in the end.

Can't wait to see it....it's been a while since I've seen any of your tanks! And from what I remember this is going to be a lot bigger than any of your previous tanks.

This aquarium will be 4 times the size of the largest aquarium I've ever had. Once I get what I need to set up this aquarium, I'll be tearing down the 2.5 gallon, 5.5 gallon, and 10 gallon aquariums. I'm still planning to keep the 0.5 gallon aquarium, although it will be getting a major overhaul.

The 10 gallon will actually be going to my son, who has taken an interest in aquariums and has been asking for his own for awhile now. He's currently working on saving up his allowance so that he can set it up. He'll need to buy a new light fixture (incandescent with screw-in fluorescent light bulbs), substrate, and the inhabitants. The rest I'll be giving him from the stuff I already have.

A related project will be replacing the basement sink so that I can hook up a Python to it for water changes. No more buckets!!! This one will be large enough that buckets just won't make sense anymore.

The rest of the stuff will be going to my local aquarium club's spring auction. Hopefully I'll be able to recoup a portion of my investment so that I can use that to defray the costs of the new aquarium.

Last edited:
the docs has Flourite sand for $22 with $8-9 flat rate shipping.

gerts are a really cool rainbow i dont know why more people dont keep them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am really really excited to see this tank, 10g and worried about buckets, you would be amused at me then with my 45g. I got a nice 3g bucket i fill up and run downstairs dump it in the downstairs sink, back upstairs etc etc. Luckily tho we have a bathroom right next to my room (parents dont like me dumping fishy water into the tub), so filling it back up is easy.

Couple of suggestions from my end:

fosterandsmithaquatics is still listing there $8.99 flat rate shipping :) Also have you checked out these lights they get super great reviews and you can choose your bulbs when you order:

Catalina Aquarium

I'll have to get a journal started here now, another site to spend endless hours looking at tanks.

Craig

Good to see you posting here Craig!

The fixture at Catalina is more expensive than the one on sale at Drs Foster and Smith, and the last time that I contacted them for information they never replied. I think I'll be sticking with the Freshwater Current Fixture since I've got great experience with their fixtures and it comes with bulbs in the right spectrum.

Last edited:
Good to see you posting here Craig!

The fixture at Catalina is more expensive than the one on sale at Drs Foster and Smith, and the last time that I contacted them for information they never replied. I think I'll be sticking with the Freshwater Current Fixture since I've got great experience with their fixtures and it comes with bulbs in the right spectrum.

Yeah I just checked and that current fixture is alot cheaper!

If everything goes according to plan, I should be able to start picking up the aquarium, stand, and equipment later this month.

Back
Top Bottom