75 gallon planted aquarium log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I finally have some serious plants in this thing. Still no job, but I have some sidework happening so I should be able to get the CO2 running and the ferts ordered this week. Thankfully.

Petco was having a sale on plants and I just couldn't help myself. They had some really good looking swords and ludwiga so... TA DA!...

img_1142380_0_2a17a0992487c80ad453d302eb32f2cf.jpg

img_1142380_1_68d1f11ba5844160fa9aa57ca07151a1.jpg

img_1142380_2_133c2f3712171019970ebac253e853ea.jpg

I really like your tank! Can't wait to see some more plants in there. I'm thinking I will get some shale (that is what it is right?) because that looks super clean!

It's been a while since I've posted an update here and quite a bit has changed.

I've got the pressurized CO2 running utilizing a filter housing style reactor. It's been working wonderfully. Two weeks ago I made a huge plant order to get this thing planted for real and it showed up a two thursdays ago. I immediately went to planting.

Here's the total plant list I recieved:

blyxa japonica
rotala macandra japan red
crypt parva
crypt wendtii
staurogyne 49
limno aromatica
Alternanthera reineckii var. roseafolia
Ludwiga Repens
Ludwiga Grandulosa
Italian Vals
Tiger Lotus
Compact Sword
Rotala Singapore
Rotala SP Green

Here's everything unpacked:
img_1158282_0_f15a0e162cbc06ead49d0f6cfaf26d15.jpg

Here's what I started with:
img_1158282_1_89b9c73f6b447877f3b4ccadca7acbaa.jpg

The crypts that had been suffering were doing MUCH better and had a lot of growth but they were still struggling for nutrients I think. I believe that's why they are so yellowish.
img_1158282_2_dd7a1accac867b6c5bfec04e61b85531.jpg

I pretty much pulled everything out that was existing and started fresh. It took forever to plant but here's what the eventual result was:
img_1158282_3_9e15b44b2c6679f74d3e75cf6baa6253.jpg

img_1158282_4_52f33833edcf159fc8dcafeb6fb2e5af.jpg

img_1158282_5_756132f5447166877f90e538fce9e65d.jpg

The original plan was for me to start dosing ferts using the EI method that Sunday, but due to business and personal opportunity I left town for a week, leaving my Mom to just look over everything and feed the fish.

When I returned I found a several stems floating. Some stuff was doing well, some not so well. I also decided upon seeing the tank there were several things I didn't like in there. Since I had to do maintenance anyways, I went to work pulling and moving to make me happy... for now.

I pulled the Rotala Singapore, SP green, and Ludwiga glandulosa. I just wasn't digging the chaos. As you see in the picture it just looked like a big clump of crap stuffed in there. I have a feeling part of the problem was my planting technique but for now I'm going to steer away from the real narrow leaf stuff.

I also yanked the limno aromatica. Honestly I kind of like this plant, but the stems I recieved were HUGE and it was shading the ludwiga glandulosa really badly. I ended up moving the alternatha over into that back corner (I like that plant.) I'm going to fool around with the limno and ludwiga tomorrow to see if I can use them somewhere, because I like both of them too.

I also moved the Rotala Macandra to a "sunnier" spot, as the shipping was really rough on it and it needs a little extra TLC.

So here's what it looks like after the maintenance and water change:
img_1158283_0_b6e7f7746504594b90cb81beb1688e9e.jpg

Right side (my favorite side)
img_1158283_1_8957f169cce05d5bc357452a989583ba.jpg

Left side:
img_1158283_2_2e9a955b262a26c535b49846e87dfef5.jpg

Additional observations:

I absolutely LOVE the Ludwiga Repens, like I thought I would. In a week its grown a lot and it's already turning orange at the tops. I'm pumped to see how it looks as it fills in. The color of the Rotala Macandra is coming back and I'm loving it too. The stems are looking pretty weak for now but they'll get better. I know they are very light dependent so moved into the new position in the open should help I think. The blyxa is blowing my mind and I know now why it's so popular. I'm also really liking the starugone and I'm trying to decide if I want to add more of both. The original plan was to form a carpet of microsword, but it very well might end up being starugone.

I'm going to mess with the wall tomorrow. It's too large and dominant. I'm thinking I'll pull the top two rows off and pull the loose ones sitting in the foreground. I like the blyxa enough that I'm considering getting more and running it all the way across the top of the wall. The other option is going to be adding some anubias (like compact) to the rocks. The goal is to cover up the bottom of the stems and give it more of a midground like the right side. I also want to see if I can put the Ludwiga Glandulosa and Limno Aromatica back in without ruining the aesthetic.

I'm sure this is going to be one wild ride as I learn what I like and what works well together. I'm a web designer by trade so I'm picky as **** and constantly trying to make things visually better. I'm definitely open to advice and opinions as to the arrangement of everything.

Nice looking Blyxa. I don't know why but mine won't grow taller than 4" I really wish it would bush up more bit it just grows really small. It stays green/bronze to yellow/gold though so it's pretty interesting. Good start.

Yeah, the blyxa has actually yellowed a little over the last week while I was gone, but I have a feeling its due to lack of macros. I started dosing today so I'm looking for the tank to really green up this week.

img_1158293_0_48a5acbee99974180b2991ed7afbde7c.jpg

Can you believe that's blyxa japonica? Mine gets a little red but only near the veins and in specs.

I question whether that's a legit picture personally. I've read posts over on TPT by Tom Barr talking about people taking shots and adjusting them with photoshop. I'm not so sure Blyxa would turn that color. That's pretty much purple.

That may not be real blyxa but it does indeed turn red-pinkish. You can find a large number of pictures of red blyxa. I'm pretty sure with the right adjustments you could get something similar.

Back
Top Bottom