Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   General Hardware/Equipment Discussion (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/)
-   -   JBJ Auto-Topoff? (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/jbj-auto-topoff-130066.html)

Zer0 05-30-2010 06:59 PM

JBJ Auto-Topoff?

So.. i hear good things about this top-off system.. and it's actually pretty fairly priced on aquacave.com

So my question is.. does it come with everything needed to just hook it up and it works right there? Or do i need to buy other things to get it to work, like a float switch, or an aqualifter pump or something. I'm not sure.. i just don't want to get stuck with a piece of equipment that will only work if you purchase other equipment.

Thanks.

-Kevin

thincat 05-30-2010 07:30 PM

Kev, it comes with all you need to hook it up.. The thing I don't like about this unit is the alarm. Everytime it refills it sounds an alarm and it can be quite anoying. You can disconnect that but it voids the warranty.

Zer0 05-30-2010 07:31 PM

Nice. Thanks for the info TC.

Are there any other units around the JBJ's price range that you've tried? Or heard about that are good? I've heard good things about autotopoff.com.. but i think they just sell the floats.. i think. Not sure.

neilanh 05-30-2010 07:33 PM

autotopoff.com get the double switch controller.... 100% satisfied with mine. They sell the entire system, everything you need.

Zer0 05-30-2010 07:40 PM

So then.. if i purchased the double switch controller and then the FT-70 pump(on autotopoff.com), i should be good to go? My sump sits on the bottom of the stand so the highest the water has to travel is over the lip of the RO water bucket which is about 1ft..

neilanh 05-30-2010 07:51 PM

That should work. That pump is overkill, but it'll do the job and it's cheap enough, just make sure to use the lowest flow setting.

I use a Tom's Aqualifter. 3gph peristaltic, but it's a few bucks more.

mr_X 05-30-2010 07:53 PM

i use a mj1200, and an ATO(yes, the one with the annoying alarm).

Zer0 05-30-2010 07:55 PM

Alright.. then ill use it on it's lowest setting because you really can't beat the price for the pump lol. Plus, i don't want to have to pay for shipping on some other site. All the pumps at petsmart are either expensive.. or total garbage. nothing in between lol.

Thanks for all the help gentlemen.

thincat 05-31-2010 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilanh (Post 1114708)
autotopoff.com
get the double switch controller.... 100% satisfied with mine. They sell the entire system, everything you need.

Autotopoff is the system I have and I am quite satified with it . The also give good service if you have any questions.

Zer0 05-31-2010 03:42 AM

Then it's definitely settled. Buying from Autotopoff.com when i've got the funds.