Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Reef Aquaria (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   GAC (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/gac-13140.html)

Smonkey15 12-13-2003 10:53 PM

GAC

what do you guys use to put GAC in for a sump? i have heard panty hose. does that work?

jamal-188 12-14-2003 01:06 AM

Yes, pany hose do work. I'd probably buy a new set to make sure they are nice and clean instead of a used/washed pair that may have detergent in them. I just buy little white filter type bags at my LFS for around $1 each, they have a draw string top and work great.

steve-s 12-14-2003 02:22 AM

You can also get Chemi-pure, with is a carbon/resin product that already comes in a nylon bag...

Cheers
Steve

ReefRaff 12-14-2003 07:54 AM

well I have to tell ya. I tried it and I spent soooo much time trying to rinse the black dust out and made such a huge mess, that I won't be going that route again.

steve-s 12-14-2003 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReefRaff
I tried it and I spent soooo much time trying to rinse the black dust out and made such a huge mess, that I won't be going that route again.

If you are talking about the chemi-pure, it is pre-rinsed and even though you may get some "bleeding" it does not need additional rinsing really. When I change it out, I quickly swish it in a pail of removed tank water and into the filter. It has never been an issue....

Cheers
Steve

jamal-188 12-14-2003 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReefRaff
well I have to tell ya. I tried it and I spent soooo much time trying to rinse the black dust out and made such a huge mess, that I won't be going that route again.

What kind of carbon are you using? Some really cheap carbon I bought at my LFS was horrible, it'd rinse it for 20 minutes and black would keep pouring off it. So now I buy the Aqua-Tech carbon at wal-mart. It's actually made by Marineland but just packaged for wal-mart and is only aournd $5 for a 900mL container. It's pre-rinsed, I just rinse it for 10 seconds or so to make sure excess debris from shipping is removed as well.

ReefRaff 12-14-2003 06:04 PM

Quote:

If you are talking about the chemi-pure, it is pre-rinsed and even though you may get some "bleeding" it does not need additional rinsing really. When I change it out, I quickly swish it in a pail of removed tank water and into the filter. It has never been an issue....
Quote:

What kind of carbon are you using? Some really cheap carbon I bought at my LFS was horrible, it'd rinse it for 20 minutes and black would keep pouring off it.
It was a 3.65 L conatainer of Black Diamond GAC. and it is approx a 1/8 inch particle size. One person (can't remember who) was saying that there was a better product than GAC. was that you steve? was it Chem-Pure you or they were talking about?

steve-s 12-14-2003 07:17 PM

If asked I usually recommend chemi-pure but I cannot remember if we talked about it previously...

Cheers
Steve

Electrobes 12-14-2003 07:36 PM

how would you "hang" it in the sump/refugium though?

steve-s 12-14-2003 09:51 PM

Best place in a sump would be suspended in a slotted plastic bowl or basket beneath the outflow of the skimmer. I would not place it in an actual refugium, the flow is too slow to be effective...

Cheers
Steve