Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Coral Toxicity? (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/coral-toxicity-141538.html)

Kurt_Nelson 02-22-2011 01:28 PM

That's funny... after I posted, I thought to myself that I should've added... "unless, of course, you're allergic to latex!"

Yeah... the non-latex gloves are fine too. I've used both. You're just looking for something that doesn't have any powder or additive, and are inert.

Since you obviously have allergic issues already, I'd definitely be using gloves in your situation. Here's a source for long shoulder length gloves:

Reef Sleeves

I own some, and *think* they're non-latex, but if you're interested give the guys a call and ask for sure. (Really nice, helpful people at that place.)

shellygirl55 02-24-2011 06:05 PM

Yep..called they are non latex...thanks again for that! The guy at the lfs did warn me that since I do have allergy issues I do have to be extra careful (I am also deadly allergic to bees) so thanks again for the tip!

Cylias 02-24-2011 07:32 PM

To be honest I wouldn't worry. I've never heard of anyone getting stings from corals but I'm sure its happened if its on the internet. Most corals probably will only irritate the affected area but it also depends on your skin, etc. I have pretty tough skin and no allergies to anything so I'm not too worried. *knock on wood*. I would be more concerned about the corals, but as long as your hands are clean without any oily substances or chemicals on them you should be fine to stick your hand in the water and move your corals if need be.

PrettyFishies 02-24-2011 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmw325cic
I always wear gloves now because I have a killer tang that u will need to get your hand stapled after he is done with you. And I have lots of bristle worms but my tank is going on 5 years old ! U never see them but feel them later.

Your tank sounds scary! Lol

Kurt_Nelson 02-25-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cylias (Post 1231293)
To be honest I wouldn't worry. I've never heard of anyone getting stings from corals but I'm sure its happened if its on the internet. Most corals probably will only irritate the affected area but it also depends on your skin, etc. I have pretty tough skin and no allergies to anything so I'm not too worried. *knock on wood*. I would be more concerned about the corals, but as long as your hands are clean without any oily substances or chemicals on them you should be fine to stick your hand in the water and move your corals if need be.

This is really really not good advice to someone that has known major existing allergic reactions. Corals will sting, period. For some they will do nothing. Others, they'll leave a painful welt. Others, well... could be worse.

Fishguy2727 02-25-2011 10:33 PM

Then it's good he specified allergies and different skin types...