Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Aquaria Off-Topic (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   tank background (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/tank-background-141628.html)

xxwolfpackof1xx 02-20-2011 05:02 PM

tank background

is it really nessacery im goin to my lfs today for some fish will it greatly improve the visiual appeal? if so il spring the extra buck for it what do you guys think?

Sent from my Vortex using Aquarium

Joyler 02-20-2011 05:06 PM

Well the main purpose for the background IMO is to reduce shadows behind the tank that could stress out your fish...but I'm planning on just planting my tank with real plants so the background plants should take care of that!

mfdrookie516 02-20-2011 05:14 PM

A tank without a background looks bad IMO. Wires, filters, etc showing greatly reduce the visual appeal. You can put tall plants in the back, but it still doesn't give the right look. A dark, solid colored background makes any tank look 100% better than a tank without one IMO

xxwolfpackof1xx 02-20-2011 05:16 PM

thanks il prob pic one up there cheap right?

Joyler 02-20-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
A tank without a background looks bad IMO. Wires, filters, etc showing greatly reduce the visual appeal. You can put tall plants in the back, but it still doesn't give the right look. A dark, solid colored background makes any tank look 100% better than a tank without one IMO

Ya, I've noticed that too...I guess you just have to make sure you do a neat job applying it or it could bubble or what not...and that doesn't look that great either IMO

mfdrookie516 02-20-2011 05:18 PM

I got one today for my 40b... I had them cut it to 38" and it cost $2.99. It is reversible, has black on one side, blue on the other. Took double sided tape, put it up to my tank, and took a razor blade and trimmed it to fit.

Joyler 02-20-2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxwolfpackof1xx
thanks il prob pic one up there cheap right?

Ya I think they are fairly cheap...I just took the old one off the tank I just bought...had a plant and drift wood theme...but I forgot to look at the price on it...sorry

Chilly 02-20-2011 05:44 PM

Hiya, noob here! First post too! May sound like a dumb question but here goes........so tank backgrounds go in the tank or outside on the back?

xxwolfpackof1xx 02-20-2011 05:47 PM

how should i attach it tape? n they go on the outside

Joyler 02-20-2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chilly
Hiya, noob here! First post too! May sound like a dumb question but here goes........so tank backgrounds go in the tank or outside on the back?

Not dumb at all!! Welcome :) hope you enjoy the site...with that said, there are backgrounds for both! Usually the plastic sheets are for outside...but there are some backgrounds you can silicone to the inside of your tank! I think that's more permanent though