Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/)
-   -   my swords turning clear! (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/my-swords-turning-clear-146267.html)

bsdryder7 03-28-2011 10:07 PM

my swords turning clear!

so i planted some melon swords last week and the leaves are turning a wierd light brown and clear color.what does this mean???/

ive been putting in flourish and nitrogen 1 time a week.....i dont know if its my cichlids messing with them but theres a couple nips out of the leaves but nothing major.....

should i dose flourish more than 1 time a week ??

i have 2 watts per gallon and i was going to get some excel and root tabs tomorrow....do u think they can come back to life or is it to late

help please

rich6459 03-29-2011 03:29 AM

I haven't delt with plants a lot, but I had three little plants in my tank When they stared to die, they turned clear and brownish.

I'm not sure if you can save them.

Fishies86 03-29-2011 03:55 AM

My amazon sword started doing that when I first got it. I doubled my lighting (3w/g) and added root tabs. It has recovered and is growing like crazy now :) I'm not sure which it was that saved it, lighting or root tabs, or maybe it just needed to settle in after I bought it, but it can recover :)

Mr. Limpet 03-29-2011 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsdryder7
so i planted some melon swords last week and the leaves are turning a wierd light brown and clear color.what does this mean???/

ive been putting in flourish and nitrogen 1 time a week.....i dont know if its my cichlids messing with them but theres a couple nips out of the leaves but nothing major.....

should i dose flourish more than 1 time a week ??

i have 2 watts per gallon and i was going to get some excel and root tabs tomorrow....do u think they can come back to life or is it to late

help please

Edit: As long as your sure it's melon and not brazilian. A LFS sells 1 as the other lol.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

meegosh 03-29-2011 06:02 AM

Swords are heavy root feeders. Dosing ferts in the water column doesn't help swords out much. You need to get some root tabs down in your substrate. They will perk back up after some time.

bsdryder7 03-29-2011 10:44 PM

ok also i was wondering about what i read that your carbon in your canister kills all the macro nutes that u need and i just got new carbon two weeks ago.....so if anyone can chime in about that it would really help...

i just picked up the root tabs and excel

Mr. Limpet 03-29-2011 11:01 PM

Quote:

ok also i was wondering about what i read that your carbon in your canister kills all the macro nutes that u need and i just got new carbon two weeks ago.....so if anyone can chime in about that it would really help...

i just picked up the root tabs and excel

Never heard of that, but carbon does scrub the water pretty good. Something for bigjim or rookie to comment on I think.

bsdryder7 03-29-2011 11:11 PM

ya i read it on one of the stickys on planted tanks or A>S ......so another Q i had was if thatd the case should i add flourish everday or everyother day cause on the bottle it says once a week???

help me ive been going through plants like crazy

Mr. Limpet 03-29-2011 11:16 PM

Quote:

ya i read it on one of the stickys on planted tanks or A>S ......so another Q i had was if thatd the case should i add flourish everday or everyother day cause on the bottle it says once a week???

help me ive been going through plants like crazy

I split the dose over 2 days in a week. Seems a bit much once a week IMO.

bsdryder7 03-29-2011 11:28 PM

i agree ive just been praying for something to work.......its hard enough with the turtles nipping the leaves and the cichlids messing with them.....lol ......