Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Reef Aquaria (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   220 Gallon Reef-Build Thread (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/220-gallon-reef-build-thread-152267.html)

Purevil21 05-10-2011 10:48 PM

220 Gallon Reef-Build Thread

1 Attachment(s)
Got the new tank ordered last night!!! I am still working out some of the bugs planning, but luckily I have some time before the tank gets here. The only pictures I have to post right now are a 55 gallon freshwater tank a friend gave me that is going to become a sump/refugium. I am really excited, and I know this is going to take a long time, but you have to start somewhere. haha I am picking up the supplies to build the sump and refugium this weekend, if anyone has any tips or advise feel free to offer it! I am cleaning the tank tomorrow afternoon, I will post some pics.

hackteck 05-10-2011 11:06 PM

good luck on the build i bet it turns out great gonna have so many options with that big of a tank i got a 180G im picking up saturday and i'm also gonna be uising a 55G as a sump

Purevil21 05-11-2011 10:34 AM

Hack, how are you dividing up your sump. You can see in the picture there are two section, each with a small light. I am thinking of removing the lid from one half and plumbing the overflows to that side. That half would be divided by three baffled to act as a bubble trap. I will put the skimmer in the first secrion, followed by rock rubble. Then the other half can be used as a refuge with a small section at the end for the return pump. I don't know how much lighting is necessary for a fuge though. Those lights may not be sufficient.

Purevil21 05-11-2011 10:37 AM

Why am I excited to go home and tear this tank apart to start this project? Lol

hackteck 05-11-2011 11:16 AM

how i will devide it i have no idea yet ive never done a diy sump before the sump i have now i brough prebuilt so i will need to google to find out exactly how im going to do it so i wont screw it up lol

Purevil21 05-11-2011 11:21 AM

Lol, I'm right there with you. Hopefully I don't mess things up too badly.

Purevil21 05-11-2011 10:39 PM

Ok I have settled on a design, did plenty of researching today.

Plans for a 55gal sump/refugium - Reef Central Online Community

I like this setup, it is simple and hopefully effective, the only difference is I am going to make one half of the tank the refuge with a small section for the return at the end. I want a section for nothing but rubble before the refuge, so it will be four sections rather than three. Hopefully it all works out.

Purevil21 05-11-2011 10:40 PM

I will be doing the build for the sump this weekend. Pictures will start tomorrow, I did get the 55 cleaned out today, so it is ready to go.

hackteck 05-11-2011 10:42 PM

i'll be following so i can see how you did it will make it easier for me when i get ready

Purevil21 05-11-2011 10:54 PM

6FT 3x250W HQI / 4x39W T5 Maristar® High Output HQI T5 Combo Fixture - English

Should I be able to keep corals and clams with this fixture? That is the best price I have found thus far on that powerful of a strip. The tank is 30" Deep, so I want to make sure I will be getting enough light at the bottom.