Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Amano shrimp (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/amano-shrimp-155587.html)

xfactor6699 06-06-2011 05:40 PM

Amano shrimp
 
So there is nothing in my tank that can eat my amanos why are they hiding.... I would understand if they were eating where their hiding but its like their sleeping are they nocturnal

xfactor6699 06-06-2011 08:57 PM

Does anyone own these guys

Mr. Limpet 06-06-2011 09:02 PM

I have 8 or so in different tanks. Mine hide sometimes too.

GoneFishing 06-06-2011 09:02 PM

I have 6 Amanos, they all hid for about the first 4-6 days. Now they are always out and about. Especially when I feed, once they see the shrimp pellets hit the ground they grab them. Feeding shrimp, shrimp pellets is so ironic lol

Edit: I wanted to add that the females are always out, since the females are almost all 2" long. The males then to hide in the plants or in the caves a majority of the time.

xfactor6699 06-06-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoneFishing
I have 6 Amanos, they all hid for about the first 4-6 days. Now they are always out and about. Especially when I feed, once they see the shrimp pellets hit the ground they grab them. Feeding shrimp, shrimp pellets is so ironic lol

Edit: I wanted to add that the females are always out, since the females are almost all 2" long. The males then to hide in the plants or in the caves a majority of the time.

How can u tell males from females

xfactor6699 06-06-2011 09:07 PM

Mine luv shrimp pellets I feed my cory and they snag a few lol

roydooms 06-06-2011 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xfactor6699
Mine luv shrimp pellets I feed my cory and they snag a few lol

Mine does the same thing. Lol. Amanos from what I read are most active during "lights off". They are more active now and often times comes out to wander around the tank than the first week when I got them.

GoneFishing 06-06-2011 09:11 PM

The easiest way to determine the sex of an Amano Shrimp is their lowest stripe along the length of the body. Male shrimp have a line of separate dots while females have dashes almost appearing to be a broken line.

rich311k 06-06-2011 09:19 PM

If you were a shrimp you would hide, you are on everyone's dinner menu. They do not know that a predator is not going to come along.

xfactor6699 06-06-2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich311k
If you were a shrimp you would hide, you are on everyone's dinner menu. They do not know that a predator is not coming to come along.

besides my farlowella cats they are bigger than most my fish lol


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.