Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (
-   Saltwater & Reef - Identification (
-   -   white, coral type substance (

yaksplat 02-06-2004 12:34 AM

white, coral type substance
anyone know what this white stuff is? It has some small black dots that have formed in it in the last few days.


reefrunner69 02-06-2004 12:52 AM

Sponge, the black dots are actually holes , or siphons for the intake and outflow of water.

yaksplat 02-06-2004 12:59 AM

so sponges can be extremely hard, like a calcium deposit?

steve-s 02-06-2004 01:42 AM

There are many types of calcareous sponges. These CaCO3 formations can often look just like many types of encrusting corals rather than the sponges they are. Ever noticed those "jelly" looking formations laced together on the underside of LR or in darker areas of the tank? Those are another form as well.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.