Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   pond snail control (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/pond-snail-control-171942.html)

maxwellag 09-29-2011 08:41 PM

pond snail control

I have an infestation of pond snails, and need some advice on how to get rid of them. I have tried feeding less, and it didn't help.

mfdrookie516 09-29-2011 08:42 PM

Feed even more less. They won't just go away, but they'll stop the overpopulation. Then, manual removal. I have pond snails in all my tanks, they've NEVER been an issue... but I only feed once every 2-3 days.

animalzrok2 09-29-2011 08:44 PM

sell/give them away. and then you also don't have to kill any

jetajockey 09-29-2011 08:53 PM

just smash them against the glass when you see them, they'll go away in time with feeding control as MFD said. Cutting back on feeding has more of a long term result, since they lay large clutches of eggs, you could still see a large population boom even weeks after the feeding change, so don't expect it to work overnight.

maxwellag 09-29-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by animalzrok2
sell/give them away. and then you also don't have to kill any

I don't like dishonesty, and imo selling a pest is dishonest.

maxwellag 09-29-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
Feed even more less. They won't just go away, but they'll stop the overpopulation. Then, manual removal. I have pond snails in all my tanks, they've NEVER been an issue... but I only feed once every 2-3 days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetajockey
just smash them against the glass when you see them, they'll go away in time with feeding control as MFD said. Cutting back on feeding has more of a long term result, since they lay large clutches of eggs, you could still see a large population boom even weeks after the feeding change, so don't expect it to work overnight.

Thanks, I will do both things. I hope it works

jetajockey 09-29-2011 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxwellag (Post 1571473)
I don't like dishonesty, and imo selling a pest is dishonest.

It's not dishonest, not everyone sees them as pests. They do a great job of algae control and eating waste in the tank, which helps water quality. If kept in check they are a great, I keep them in most of my planted tanks for this reason alone.

They also make great feeders, so people with fish like puffers love them and will actually buy them. I've sold pondsnail/bladder snails/ramshorns for around .10 each.

animalzrok2 09-29-2011 09:07 PM

oh sorry,i don't think of them as pests. when i set up my breeding tank 1 of my plants had snail eggs on them. there all about 1 month old and though I'm not sure that there pond snails they keep my tank extremely clean.

Alex55-20 09-29-2011 09:59 PM

Get a freshwater figure eight puffer and it will take care of the problem and any future problems. I even purposely throw in pond snails as a puffer snack

animalzrok2 09-29-2011 10:01 PM

how many do you have?