Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Lfs....lies or truth? (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/lfs-lies-or-truth-172810.html)

Yash 10-05-2011 06:04 PM

Lfs....lies or truth?

I got my water tested today the lfs. The guy said ever thing is looking good except the ph. He said my ph is low and tried to sell me a 20 dollar bottle of buffer. Unfortunately I forgot my wallet at home so I could not buy it. Should I go back and buy the product or was he just pushing a sale? what should I do

Tomchong22 10-05-2011 06:09 PM

What was the ph at? Depending on time of day the ph will change due to lighting. Do not use buffers. A lot of things can be changed and fixed with a simple water change.

Sharkbait54 10-05-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomchong22
What was the ph at? Depending on time of day the ph will change due to lighting. Do not use buffers. A lot of things can be changed and fixed with a simple water change.

He's absolutely right don't use chemicals to modify your ph it just makes it worse sometimes.

fort384 10-05-2011 06:33 PM

Agreed with above. Let us know what the pH tested at. 99% of folks can house 90% of the common species of fish without altering their pH, even if it is a little off. Stable and constant is more important than the exact value... When you add pH altering chemicals, it causes pH fluctuations.

Yash 10-05-2011 06:39 PM

He did not say, just said low.
Turned on lights at 8 in the morning and did test around 4:30.
How big of a water change?

Gti_Leo 10-05-2011 06:40 PM

was it a liquid buffer or a powder?

plus it depends how long the water sat out of the tank to determain what the PH is really at.

i would invest in your own test kits and do your own tests.

fort384 10-05-2011 06:41 PM

Agreed. You need a FW master kit from API. Responsible fish keeping requires a test kit.

Yash 10-05-2011 06:47 PM

Its a liquid buffer- Kent marine pro buffer

Btw it's a reef tank, It has live rocks and live sand. Been a week and half since I started cycling with shrimp

Tomchong22 10-05-2011 06:49 PM

Well there is your answer the ammonia from your shrimp is lowering your ph. Ammonia is a acid. Do not do a water change. Just wait for the cycle to finish. It should be around 3ish total weeks. Get your own test kit and test every day.

mysticeel 10-05-2011 06:49 PM

It all depends on how low your pH is. If it is off by a few percents than usually a water change or two will bring it back up. If your pH is really low than you will have to use buffers. I had a pH problem and my lfs gave me enough for three doses and haven't the need for it since. I would highly suggest using Aquavitro. They have great customer service and will give you the best advice when using their products.

If your tank is currently in a cycle than that will explain your low pH due to ammonia. Wait a few more weeks for your cycle to complete than test your pH again.