Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   crabs missing (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f16/crabs-missing-173456.html)

craig_will2513 10-10-2011 07:22 AM

crabs missing

hi all not sure if this is in the right section but anyway. i have around 20 hermits in my tank and i used to always see them and when i fed the tank they used to go mental comming out from everywhere. now i cant see them i see the odd one every now and then does anyone know why this could be. i have a pair of clowns a mandarin and a strawberry baslet sulphur goby also i have some zoas xenia and a leather toadstool and they are all ok

joy13 10-10-2011 08:41 AM

Well it could be when they molted they were eaten. It could be hermit crab war over shells. What is your water parameters like?

craig_will2513 10-10-2011 09:00 AM

my water is fine.. but what would have eaten them and it they were fighting over shells id see some cutting about but there is nothing

craig_will2513 10-14-2011 07:37 AM

can anyone help me please what could have happened to my crabs. iv seen a few about. what may have eaten my crabs

joy13 10-14-2011 09:49 AM

A crab will actually eat another crab if it is dead. Other things are worms like bristle worms ONLY after it is dead, fish or even some snails. Seeing a naked hermit crab is rather disturbing my friend saw a crab fight over a shell the looser was in the corner, he actually had to put a shell near it so it could crawl in it. It was probably the shell that the other crab had left.

craig_will2513 10-14-2011 11:14 AM

so the other crabs would have eaten them then. i have a common clown a mandarin a srtawberry baslet and a valantini puffer. would any of them eaten the molting crabs

Bige 10-14-2011 12:22 PM

Many things could have happened like Joy said. Crabs fight over shells. Also, they could have starved to death. How big is the tank and how many crabs do you have? Joy laid it out there with some accurate info.

joy13 10-14-2011 01:47 PM

Puffer eat crabs Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Saddle Valentini Puffer you will have to make a choice now which one you want. Also usually when something is considered on their diet it is an important part of their diet.

craig_will2513 10-14-2011 02:01 PM

na not starved there is plenty of food. its a 35g tanjk and i had 18 hermits

Rutrag 10-14-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joy13
Puffer eat crabs Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Saddle Valentini Puffer you will have to make a choice now which one you want. Also usually when something is considered on their diet it is an important part of their diet.

+1 on this. Puffers in my experience are also pretty smart and persistent. I bet he's been picking them off.