Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Reef Aquaria (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Is PVC cement toxic to fish? (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/is-pvc-cement-toxic-to-fish-180553.html)

carey 11-26-2011 12:45 PM

Is PVC cement toxic to fish?

I used pPVC cement yesterday for some connections and and the pipe still stinks like the cement. When is it safe to add to my plumbing? Is the scent an indication of not being ready for the tank? I rinsed it a few times and the smell still remains....

Thanks for any help on this one, I really want to finish the plumbing today but don't want to poison my tank. lol

catmel 11-26-2011 12:53 PM

I'm pretty sure it'll be safe as long as you're able to let the cement dry long enough where it doesnt leak. I had a leak in my plumbing, had to cut out and re-glue some pieces.. let it sit for a few hours and returned water flow.. no problems at all. The smell is pretty strong for a while, even after it dries ( it lingers in the air) I would make sure to open some windows for a bit and air out the room / get some circulation going. I'd be more concerned about the fumes.. especially for you, too.

Hope it helps.

Gti_Leo 11-26-2011 01:09 PM

the cement is jus ta solvent and once all the chemicals evaporate out after it melts the plastic it should be fine.

i use CPVC cement though, CPVC is a PVC that is used for drinking water PVC so it is safe once its fully dried

carey 11-26-2011 01:49 PM

So since I did it yesterday it should be fine today? Even with the smell?

Gti_Leo 11-26-2011 01:59 PM

yeah should be more then fine just rinse it out

carey 11-26-2011 02:14 PM

Thanks leo. already rinsed it but I'll rinse some more. :-)

Gti_Leo 11-26-2011 04:34 PM

how did you rinse it? did you just use warm water? i would use water and a bit of rubbing alchohol to disinfect and get anything harmful that may be on the piping. not a big deal if you don't running carbon will help suck up anything harmful anyways

carey 11-26-2011 05:00 PM

I have it hooked up right now in a half full tank of water with a mag 7 pumping through it. Figure let it run for a bit and hopefully that will be enough so I can hook it into the system. :-)

leftyfish 11-26-2011 06:05 PM

Look at you putting plumbing together! Is this for the 90? I have some pieces of PVC for my tank already, lol. 3 more weeks until tank arrives. They are cutting overflow pieces this week, exciting. Did you use clear or purple? Leo... Is it clearly marked CPVC?

carey 11-26-2011 06:30 PM

I used clear cement. :-) I am adding an ATO to my 125g. I have to raise the water level in my return compartment to the sensors so I didn't wanna take a chance on any back siphon back to the sump, it'll be quite full already. I got a 1" check valve from home depot and just now finished adding it to the return line. I also re did all my plugs and extension cords, thank god! LOL It looks to be working fine with no leaks so far.