Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html)

librarygirl 02-26-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexrib (Post 1822122)
I got my new tank recently (one month ago). Everything has been fine untill I changed all 3 filter cartridges at once (my mistake). after 2 days some fish died, most of the rest fish look lethargic. what shall I do?

Hi! Unfortunately you tossed your beneficial bacteria so it'll take some time to re-establish. I'd treat this as a fish-in cycle at this point (there are links above in the guide to fish-in cycling). DO you have a test kit? A good liquid test kit is a must to see what's happening in the water. Since some fish are showing symptoms of possible toxin exposure (ammonia and/or nitrite) I'd start with a 50-60% water change with dechlorinated, temperature matched water. Then with your test kit you'll want to test the water daily for ammonia and nitrite and nitrate. Any time ammonia or nitrite hit .25, do water change(s) to get them as close to 0 as you can. Keep doing this until ammonia and nitrite can stay at 0 on their own, then you can just go back to your weekly water change. I don't know how long this cycle can last, so just be diligent in checking the water and doing water changes as needed. Hope this helps. If you have any more questions just ask. :)

*Edit: Oh, and what size tank and what fish are in there? If it's heavily stocked the toxins will rise more quickly.

segrayson 02-26-2012 10:03 AM

This is fantastic! I may have to print this up and keep it as a reference for friends who want to start up a tank. Good job!

phoenixkiller 03-24-2012 11:52 AM

This is an awesome read, bookmarking this! I need to show this to everyone at Petsmart, this would save BILLIONS of fish!!

librarygirl 03-24-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenixkiller (Post 1867029)
This is an awesome read, bookmarking this! I need to show this to everyone at Petsmart, this would save BILLIONS of fish!!

Thank you :)

paytertot 03-24-2012 12:07 PM

I shall post this on the pet store doors as if it were the 95 thesis!!
(please tell me someone gets it lol)

phoenixkiller 03-24-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paytertot (Post 1867042)
I shall post this on the pet store doors as if it were the 95 thesis!!
(please tell me someone gets it lol)

Yeah, I know my history ;) I will FORCE this document upon those heretic pet store people! lol

paytertot 03-24-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenixkiller
Yeah, I know my history ;) I will FORCE this document upon those heretic pet store people! lol

Lol yay someone understood :D :thumb:

Rusty Barr 06-02-2012 05:49 PM

Fantastic

goofyboots13 12-02-2012 10:50 PM

Thank you for this write up.

NEVERLAND 02-21-2013 12:55 PM

Thank you for making this thread. Very useful.