Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Can Maracyn be mixed with cupramine? (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f16/can-maracyn-be-mixed-with-cupramine-19800.html)

quarryshark 03-26-2004 10:12 PM

Can Maracyn be mixed with cupramine?

Anyone ever done this?

reefrunner69 03-27-2004 12:04 AM

I haven't, but I have used it in concert with copper sulfate without issues. Why do you need to mix them? You can treat ick with hyposalinity and use the maracyn for bacterial infection...safely.

quarryshark 03-27-2004 12:12 AM

The problem is, we have an infection with our remaining heni in qt. He is also I believe, showing signs of velvet. I recently battled velvet and have a pretty good feel for it. You can see the below post for pics if the infection. The one pictured, we lost last night. Thank god for qt!!!!
The remaining heni doesn't look good tonight and I am already treating with Maracyn. Was just considering adding the copper.....desparation move, I know.
Thanks

reefrunner69 03-27-2004 12:20 AM

I would add it, but it's likely not to do any good. Copper is only effective against free floating velvet, it has no effect on the parasite already on the fish. Like I said, I would go ahead and add it, you never know.

quarryshark 03-27-2004 12:22 AM

Nothing to loose I guess.
Thanks for the imput.
G-night.

quarryshark 03-27-2004 07:15 PM

well Reefrunner, I added the cupramine last night and he's still alive. In fact looking a bit better tonight, even swimming around a bit. Either the maracyn is working or the parasite has dropped off the fish into the trophant stage( if its velvet). If so, they will get zapped when they hatch. Looks like he has a chance....we'll see.
His eyes are both clouded up a bit. Would adding epsom salt be pushing my luck?
Thanks
Kurt

reefrunner69 03-27-2004 08:23 PM

Yeah, I think the epsom salt is getting up their with a chem soup rather than medicated SW, LOL. Give it a bit of time, more than likely as the fish recovers from infection and ick...the eyes will uncloud.

quarryshark 03-28-2004 01:20 PM

He's still hanging in there, tough little guy. My PH has taken a dive to 7.9. Should I buffer or just do a water change and let it ride? I'm afraid to tinker too much, don't want to screw up his chances.
Thanks

reefrunner69 03-28-2004 05:23 PM

What time of day was the ph checked? Personally I'd do a waterchange, maintaing water quality is very important for the recovery of your fish.

quarryshark 03-31-2004 11:24 PM

Well I came home today and he looks MUCH better. His eyes are clear, he's swimming around and even ate a bit of frozen food. :D
My question, I have been dosing Maracyn for 5 days now. Should I run it a couple more just to be sure? Have also been running cupramine, he was showing signs of parasitic disease. Planning on running this the full 2 weeks. Unless someone has a strong reason that I shouldn't.
What you you all think!!
Nice suprise to come home to!! :D :D

reefrunner69 04-01-2004 12:32 AM

I thin you should do a 3-4 week ick treatment ;) That is the only way to assure the life cycle is broken.