Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/)
-   -   aquariumplants.com CO2 Regulator Electronic (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/aquariumplants-com-co2-regulator-electronic-202846.html)

misterc007 04-13-2012 11:10 AM

aquariumplants.com CO2 Regulator Electronic

Well I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get a CO2 setup with my birthday money I'm looking at several regulators and I'm wondering if anyone could comment on the AQuariumplants.com "Carbondoser electronic" regulator? I'm also planning on getting the milwakee ph controller and some sort of diffuser or Reactor. I haven't settled on that yet so if anyone has an opinion I would like to hear it. Thanks!;)

Mr.Pleco 04-13-2012 11:33 AM

I'd definitely just go with a whole Milwaukee setup. I got a solenoid, gauge, and controller plus tubing for $198 and free shipping.
I did lots of research and came to the conclusion that Milwaukee is one of the best for the price.
Have it on a 20lb co2 tank on my 150nplantef. Love it.

aqua_chem 04-13-2012 11:40 AM

I would probably pass up the pH probe. They're nice and all, but they're an extra $100 that's not actually doing anything for you beyond simplifying the process a little bit. Many, many people just have their regulator on cycles and it works fine. It also frees $100 that better spent elsewhere (larger CO2 tank, reactor parts, dry ferts, etc).

misterc007 04-13-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Pleco (Post 1897713)
I'd definitely just go with a whole Milwaukee setup. I got a solenoid, gauge, and controller plus tubing for $198 and free shipping.
I did lots of research and came to the conclusion that Milwaukee is one of the best for the price.

How long have you been running The milwakee Reg.? Thats one of the ones I was considering.

Mr.Pleco 04-13-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterc007

How long have you been running The milwakee Reg.? Thats one of the ones I was considering.

Since January. It was my Christmas present to myself ha.
Id look on Craigslist for a co2 tank. I got a 20lb for $80. They end up swapping them when you go to fill it so doesn't really matter if it's the prettiest. At least they swap them at airgas here in Tampa, it's $26 for a swap for a full tank.
As of about a month ago or so I had only used 5lbs.

fishfanatic 04-13-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Pleco

I too have the Milwaukee regulator, it works great! I agree with the past statement to skip the Ph controller and just buy a drop checker. I have been running my co2 on my 90 gallon for a few months and I just don't think it is worth the $100 all it takes is a few days of adjustments and then you don't even have to worry about it. I dont believe that co2 has to be so precise to have it constantly monitored, just set it on a timer to come on about 30-60 minutes before the lights come on and shut off about 30-60 minutes before the lights turn off. Also if you have a canister filter then I would recommend building an inline co2 reactor. (I did it and I might be the worst person as far as working with hands go) ;)

aqua_chem 04-13-2012 01:21 PM

I also have a milwaukee regulator. It's a solid choice. Not the best on the market by any means, but it will do the job that it needs to do. My only complaint is that the needle valve isn't particularly good, but that can easily be replaced at a later date if you can't stand it.

misterc007 04-13-2012 01:35 PM

You guys are really selling me on the milwakee regulator and I like that because it will save me money:) How about a reactor or difuser thou? Any suggestions?

aqua_chem 04-13-2012 02:15 PM

You can build an inline reactor for ~$20, less if you already have PVC cement and primer. Rex Grigg has a good walkthrough for how to assemble one here.

Mr. Breeze 04-13-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterc007
You guys are really selling me on the milwakee regulator and I like that because it will save me money:) How about a reactor or difuser thou? Any suggestions?

I started with the Milwaukee and thought was crap. The electronic valve is great and easy to control. It comes with a three year warranty. I use a 5 gal CO2 tank and it last me 60 days.