Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Drift wood (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/drift-wood-204885.html)

danpas 04-26-2012 04:07 AM

Drift wood

Hey everyone I have a question and would like some input on driftwood.. I have access to ALOT of drift wood at my job being that it is located off a large canal slightly off lake Erie.. My question is I would love to use some of this drift wood for my new tank i am setting up soon (55g long) and was wondering if there is anything I should be concerned about? I planned on trying to boil it to kill off any kinda parasites but would have to do it one half at a time.. Anyone had luck doing this? Thanks all

aquabeast 04-26-2012 09:32 AM

just boil and if you want, let it sit in water to leach the tannins.

Mr.Pleco 04-26-2012 11:24 AM

I have a 4 foot piece in my 150g. Just scrub it really well and let it boil. If it's a large piece I'd recommend a bathtub and just let it soak.

I've read some people put it in the dish washer or pressure wash it as well.

butterfly_koi 04-26-2012 12:26 PM

My driftwood in my tank I got right out of the creek down here in Missouri, I boiled it and then let it sit in a bucket and changed the water every so often till the water was clear. Its been doing great in my tank

MABJ 04-26-2012 12:30 PM

Western new York represent!

Just make sure it is hard wood, not soft wood. You can check by pressing your nail into the wood. If it goes in, it is soft. You should find a new piece.

Hopefully you find some cool pieces, they're out there.

mohican 04-26-2012 01:03 PM

Anything out of Lake Erie I wouldn't use; after all it did catch fire! Plus all the strange algae. LOL.
Hi neighbor,Akron.

danpas 04-26-2012 01:37 PM

Haha what's up guys.. Didn't think there was any one from wny on here.. Yea I found one really cool piece but was soft so I had to toss it back the other two I got r real cool and solid. When I go to work today I'm going to try and look for some more..

MABJ 04-26-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mohican
Anything out of Lake Erie I wouldn't use; after all it did catch fire! Plus all the strange algae. LOL.
Hi neighbor,Akron.

All you have to do is boil / bathe in bleach then thoroughly soak and boil again lol.

Hey neighbor.

MABJ 04-26-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danpas
Haha what's up guys.. Didn't think there was any one from wny on here.. Yea I found one really cool piece but was soft so I had to toss it back the other two I got r real cool and solid. When I go to work today I'm going to try and look for some more..

Yeah, there are very few of us. If you ever want To trade plant/livestock let me know. Shipping from the south up here blows.

PC1 04-26-2012 02:27 PM

If it will fit in the oven you could also bake it to sterilize it.