Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   sick clownfish? (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f16/sick-clownfish-211740.html)

sanchezkk 06-15-2012 04:24 AM

sick clownfish?

My male clownfish has been behaving weird for the last couple of weeks. All he mostly does is lay in a corner of my tank on his side at times. My friend suggested he needs a host. I cannot get a host yet because my tank isn't ready for one as of yet. My nitrates never to go below 30ppm's. Can someone please advise?

Thank you for your assistance

Neil.W 06-15-2012 09:40 AM

Hi, just wait it out. My Maroon Clown did the exact same thing in my new 220' but once my tank got stable I brought home a BTA, within 2 minutes he was trying to open up the anemone. He or she is now a very happy fish, just watching the clown I could see the behavior change. I hope this helps

Neil

kdpuffer 06-15-2012 04:03 PM

You don't need a host for it, they will pick a spot wether its a rock or powerhead or corner of a tank and host that. Just sounds like its stressed to me.

sanchezkk 06-15-2012 08:53 PM

How do I unstress it?

kdpuffer 06-15-2012 09:23 PM

Well not sure what your water parameters are but chances are that's a good place to start. When it comes to keeping any sort of aquarium there is one rule of thumb that is never a bad thing and that is "water change". If anything looks amiss in your tank- water change, if a fish is acting odd- water change, if your bored- you guessed it, water change. If that doesn't help then it's time to look deeper. Do you have a test kit?

sanchezkk 06-15-2012 09:30 PM

Yes I have an API MARINE TEST KIT. I use it frequently. I'm not a moron. I'm stuck because since I've started the tank my nitrates have been between 30-40ppm's. I've had my clowns since then. I would say my FOWLR has been cycled for 110 days or so. All I get are different possibilities but no straight answer. When I get a cold, I drink lots of liquids and get lots of rest. Why isn't there a formula like that to go by for marine life? I love my fish and i'm just frustrated.

sanchezkk 06-15-2012 10:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a pic of my buddy.

Attachment 100658

scottayy 06-15-2012 10:29 PM

Yeah, he's not hosting the corner, there's something wrong.

Is there flow in the tank? What is the temperature and salinity at?

When you do a water change, let the salt mix for a bit first and make sure the temperature and the salinity match.

sanchezkk 06-15-2012 10:37 PM

81 F and 1.023 SG

scottayy 06-15-2012 10:43 PM

What about water flow inside the tank?

81 is a bit high, though that's not likely to cause the problem. However, it could be adding to any stressors present. How are you gauging the temperature? Glass thermometer, stick on, digital?

You could stick a small fan blowing across the surface of the water to bring the temp down.

Salinity is good. Are you topping off evaporated water to maintain that salinity?