Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   General Hardware/Equipment Discussion (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/)
-   -   RO/DI unit recommendations (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/ro-di-unit-recommendations-213125.html)

00youknowit00 06-24-2012 03:27 PM

Well I'm really tired of buying gallon jugs of distilled water now so I'm in the market for an RO/DI unit, I do not know anything about them though. I have a 20 gallon tank, and that's it right now. It's not a lot, but I want one that doesn't take forever. Maybe 100gpd? Would like to try and get one for around $60 give or take. So what do y'all think I should get?

Thanks!

*edit*
If it was a BRS one that'd be good cause there's a group buy happening Tuesday!

cfcheong 06-26-2012 05:51 AM

Well, remember this rule: you get what you paid for. I have a plan to upgrade my tank so I read many reviews and I got myself a Spec***pure MaxCap 5-satges RO/DI unit at M*****Depot for around $240.

I have a 20 gallon tank too, I just need to refill 0.25 gallon of distilled water per day. You don't need a RO/DI system until you upgrade to a bigger tank. $0.02

00youknowit00 06-26-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfcheong
Well, remember this rule: you get what you paid for. I have a plan to upgrade my tank so I read many reviews and I got myself a Spec***pure MaxCap 5-satges RO/DI unit at M*****Depot for around $240.

I have a 20 gallon tank too, I just need to refill 0.25 gallon of distilled water per day. You don't need a RO/DI system until you upgrade to a bigger tank. $0.02

Very true. Only real reason i'm looking into one is my mom doesn't like the empty jugs and told me to look into one.. I figured I'd at least look.

tonedogz 06-27-2012 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00youknowit00 (Post 2000918)
Very true. Only real reason i'm looking into one is my mom doesn't like the empty jugs and told me to look into one.. I figured I'd at least look.

http://filterdirect.com/index.php?cPath=21 here is a 6 stage for $138 this is the same place I got mind and I've had it for years

00youknowit00 06-27-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonedogz
http://filterdirect.com/index.php?cPath=21 here is a 6 stage for $138 this is the same place I got mind and I've had it for years

Awesome thanks!

tonedogz 06-27-2012 10:48 AM

glad to help

Rutrag 06-27-2012 12:21 PM

At that price point, you might check out some of these:

PureWaterClub.com

I bought a 5 stage non portable from them, and after I took it apart to re-assemble it the way I wanted it to run, I've been pretty happy with it. If I had to do it over again though, I'd have paid the extra $25 and got the BRS version. they seem to have a much better attention to detail.

Retired_AF 06-27-2012 01:08 PM

You can find some cheaper units on eBay in the 60 - 70 dollar range. They are pretty slow (I bought one for $68 and it takes about 2 hours to fill a 5 gallon bucket) but unless you plan to upgrade it should work ok. One down side is that I found it is cheaper to replace the whole unit than it is to buy the filters for the one I purchased. Still, for the cost, it works for me. The other down side is that I cant install it permanently because I have PEX plumbing and I dont have the tools to crimp in an adapter. I bought a faucet adapter and set the entire unit in the bathtub (causing the wife a lot of grief since it looks ugly) and fill the bucket there since the 'bad' water goes right down the drain.

00youknowit00 06-27-2012 10:56 PM

Thanks guys! I still thing even though its more money, the BRS one is the way to go.. I don't mind paying for quality

cfcheong 06-27-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00youknowit00 (Post 2002901)
Thanks guys! I still thing even though its more money, the BRS one is the way to go.. I don't mind paying for quality

Well I paid a little bit more for the Spectrapure MaxCap 5 stage 90 GPD, so far I am happy with it. :dance:

Welcome to the RO/DI family ;)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.