Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Reef Aquaria (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Dumb RO/DI question (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/dumb-ro-di-question-21775.html)

dralarms 04-26-2004 12:44 PM

Dumb RO/DI question

Ok I got my RO/DI unit installed, the drinking water part sure does taste good :mrgreen: . However I have what some would deem a dumb question, How do I get enough DI water to do a change on my tanks? The thing only makes about 3 gal at a time. What does most people here do? Do you just let if fill up the tank and then empty it out? Or od you just run the hose into a bucket (or garabge can) and let it run until full? I'm afraid to walk away from this thing. I need the water but don't have time to watch it trickle into the bucket. :roll:

BillyZ 04-26-2004 12:48 PM

Quote:

od you just run the hose into a bucket (or garabge can) and let it run until full?
Yep. One of these nights, run the hose to a 5 gallon bucket when you sit down to watch your evening news or Prime Time shows, and check on it every half hour/hour. Once you get an idea of how fast it produces the water you can just start it when you know you'll be around again when your container is full.

I have a 30 gallon rubber maid container. When I'm low on RO i turn on the filter before I leave for work, and turn it off when I get home that night.

MantisFreak 04-26-2004 12:59 PM

I keep a trash can filled with RO/DI water and keep a lid on top to keep out impurities in the air.

However, you don't want to remove the water out of your unit when you aren't using it. If the RO membrane dries out, it ruins them.

dralarms 04-26-2004 01:00 PM

Ok thanks that makes sense. Olny problem is I use the drinking water for drinking and also for coffee & stuff and can't get drinking water while I'm trying to get water out of the DI filter. :roll:

dralarms 04-26-2004 01:01 PM

Quote:

you don't want to remove the water out of your unit when you aren't using it. If the RO membrane dries out, it ruins them.

I had heard that, I leave mine hooked up all the time so that's not a problem "(or am I missing something) 8O

reefrunner69 04-26-2004 01:01 PM

Make sure when you run your DI water that you shut off the valve to the drinking water container.

dralarms 04-26-2004 01:02 PM

Quote:

Make sure when you run your DI water that you shut off the valve to the drinking water container.
?? You mean the tank?

reefrunner69 04-26-2004 01:12 PM

yes, there should be a ball valve on top of the storage tank, turn it to off, when making RO/DI water for the tank. That storage tank is pressueized and will move the water through the DI filter too quickly.

reefrunner69 04-26-2004 01:15 PM

Quote:

Ok thanks that makes sense. Olny problem is I use the drinking water for drinking and also for coffee & stuff and can't get drinking water while I'm trying to get water out of the DI filter.
I have a couple 1 gallon water jugs I keep full of the RO drinking water and keep in the fridge. If I'm making RO/DI water I'll make a pot of coffee first ;)

dralarms 04-26-2004 01:20 PM

Quote:

That storage tank is pressueized and will move the water through the DI filter too quickly.
So the water I have made is not any good?