Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Small FOWLR tank, RO/DI necessary? (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/small-fowlr-tank-ro-di-necessary-233846.html)

dmolavi 11-16-2012 01:20 PM

Small FOWLR tank, RO/DI necessary?
 
I'm going to do a small (20 gallon) FOWLR tank, with 2 clowns and a small cleanup crew.

Will treating the water with Prime be sufficient, or is using RO/DI really required? (I already use Prime in my 2 freshwater tanks).

Flaxon-Waxon 11-16-2012 01:52 PM

Prime won't do anything about the metals and phosphates in the tap water. Regardless of tank size, RODI is always the way to go. Algae issues will most certainly occur with tap water.

dmolavi 11-16-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benamayer (Post 2203100)
Prime won't do anything about the metals and phosphates in the tap water. Regardless of tank size, RODI is always the way to go. Algae issues will most certainly occur with tap water.

Is DI needed in addition to RO? And for a 56 gallon fresh and 20 gallon marine, I'm guessing a small gpd would suffice for my use, correct (assuming 25% changes in each every week)?

Flaxon-Waxon 11-16-2012 02:25 PM

For the small diff in price, I would do RODI. A lot of them will make water out of the RO at 10-20ppm TDS, which is still kinda high. In order to come out at 0ppm TDS it would need the DI. And in terms of gpd, mine is 75. I would check out bulk reef supply and try to get into a group buy. The 5 stage plus comes with an inline TDS meter, pressure gauge, RO membrane flush kit, and sink adapters, and is under a couple hundred bucks...

Retired_AF 11-16-2012 03:57 PM

Take my advice and take the safer, smarter route. Go with RO/DI to make sure you have pure water. That eliminates most of the possibility of putting water in the tank that can cause problems. I bought a 100 gallon per day portable unit for less than $70 and it lasted almost a year before I had to change the filters. If you get one I would also get a TDS meter to monitor the water quality.

dmolavi 11-16-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retired_AF (Post 2203281)
Take my advice and take the safer, smarter route. Go with RO/DI to make sure you have pure water. That eliminates most of the possibility of putting water in the tank that can cause problems. I bought a 100 gallon per day portable unit for less than $70 and it lasted almost a year before I had to change the filters. If you get one I would also get a TDS meter to monitor the water quality.

whoa, where did you get a rig like that for $70? I've seen 50-75 gpd units for $180-ish...

Retired_AF 11-16-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmolavi (Post 2203284)
whoa, where did you get a rig like that for $70? I've seen 50-75 gpd units for $180-ish...


Ebay - This one is $66

0ppm Portable 100GPD Reverse Osmosis Ro Di Filtration | eBay

Flaxon-Waxon 11-16-2012 04:28 PM

Definitely on the cheap side... Just keep in mind the things you may want to add on. Pressure gauge, TDS meter, sink adaptor, etc... Looks inexpensive for a reason, just sayin.

dmolavi 11-16-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benamayer (Post 2203320)
Definitely on the cheap side... Just keep in mind the things you may want to add on. Pressure gauge, TDS meter, sink adaptor, etc... Looks inexpensive for a reason, just sayin.

Yeah, and I saw some reviews of other portable systems that the replacement filter cartridges can cost more because they are smaller and not standard sizes. Before I drop a penny on RODI, I need to figure out where to install it; I think I have room in the laundry room, but I need to make sure...

Flaxon-Waxon 11-16-2012 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You don't need to install it anywhere if u don't wanna...I use mine then put it away after...

Attachment 132247


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.